Sunday, August 08, 1971

Time Machine: Our Wedding Day

We attended church at Tallahassee Heights United Methodist Church that morning then the wedding party met at Sheila's Aunt Dot Peebles' house for lunch. This picture was taken there.
-------------------
We recited poems to each other during the ceremony. Sheila recited :
If I can bear your love like a lamp before me,
When I go down the long steep Road of Darkness,
I shall not fear the everlasting shadows,
Nor cry in terror.
If I can find out God, then I shall find Him,
If none can find Him, then I shall sleep soundly,
Knowing how well on earth your love sufficed me,
A lamp in darkness.
~ Sara Teasdale
I recited a poem I had written for Sheila:
Wedding Song
To Sheila
Let us possess one world;
each hath one, and is one. -John Donne
Through you, first love, gift of my God,
I taste the love of every Eve, innocently,
As the first and every Adam.
By you, sharer of my soul, I hear a song
resounding through the centuries within myself.
It is from you, primordial bud,
I know the fragrance of each and
all the blossoming days.
Dear heart of my heart,
they are your hands that have held mine
to nature's heart.
They are your eyes, graceful beauty,
which have shown to me meaning
in fathomless space and time.
And it is for all time and space,
for each and all the dawns and days,
for every blossom
and all the beats of that great collective heart,
my Eve,
our loves are one

and each. 

- Terrell Shaw



The wedding party: Ron Johnston, Mary Grace Cash, Gary Veale, Sharlee Caister Gipson, Judy Chastain, Sheila, Terrell, David Shaw, Carol Shaw Johnston, Kevin Moore, Debi Shaw, Jimmy Matthews

L-R: James Clarence Matthews, Esther Mavis Snell Matthews, Sheila Ann Matthews Shaw, Charles Terrell Shaw, Sarah Ruth Baird Shaw, Charles Columbus Shaw. 2011 Facebook Comment from Joan Shaw Turrentine: "It was a good day for the Shaw family. I got my 5th sister and a new appreciation for the many talents and strengths of my baby brother."

L-R: Judy Chastain (Maid of Honor), Sheila, Terrell, David Baird Shaw (Best Man)

8-8-71
Tallahassee Heights UMC
Tallahassee FL
2011 note: Charlie and Rhoda were fellow interns of mine in the National Teacher Corps in WV. Rhoda's husband Kevin was one of my groomsmen. Rhoda died of cancer several years ago. Bob and Sharlee Gipson are our dear friends from college days. As you can see Sharlee was one of Sheila's bridesmaids.
Comment:
Ruth Baird Shaw
Beautiful wedding and I got another wonderful daughter I love as my own.

L-R: Judy Chastain, Carol Shaw Johnston, Ron Johnston, Rhoda Moore, Charlie Yates. 2011 note: We attended church that Sunday morning, then the wedding party met at Aunt Dot's home on the south side of town for Sunday dinner before the afternoon wedding. We had originally planned to be married on Saturday the 7th, but found the church already reserved by another couple for that date.


Leaving for the honeymoon...



 

No comments:

Post a Comment