Tuesday, August 17, 1971

Time Machine: My First Day at McHenry

 The stamp on this pic is Feb 72, but it was taken before school started in August 71 - I think my very first day in the room. Notice the radiators. We were first on the raditor flow. By January, in order to keep classes toward the end of the line reasonably warm, our room was a sauna. We opened the windows even on very cold days. Notice the house directly across the driveway behind me. That is where the janitors, Nellie (Not Edith!) and Earl Hill lived - on campus.

Notice the partition built around the light fixture. Mrs. Nancy Helser, the Title I Reading teacher, taught across the partition - one light switch. We each heard every word spoken in the other room.
Tight quarters for a fifth grade class. I think I had about 25, but I'll have to see if I can find a count.
Sheila probably took this. I had been married one week.
I don't think I have any FB friends I taught in this room in 1971, 1972, and 1973. I still see Wayne Morgan, occasionally. I run into Nancy Edwards' brother now and then.


No comments:

Post a Comment