Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe


Aslan is Dead!

Yesterday, I read aloud to my fourth-graders the chapter of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe in which Aslan (the Lion, King of Narnia) sacrifices himself, willingly, to save the boy Edmund. My favorite part of teaching is reading to my students or telling them stories. There are especially rewarding moments. Aslan’s death is one, as strange as it might seem. It is a moment of absolute quiet in my usually not-quiet classroom. 23 ten-year-olds were hanging on each word that C.S. Lewis wrote.

He’s Alive!

The equally rewarding other moment comes quickly. I read that moment in the next chapter today. It is when we discover that there is a “deeper magic” and we romp with Aslan and Susan and Lucy as they celebrate his return. What fun!! My classroom quickly became not-quiet again.

My pastor, David Campbell, wrote about Narnia in our church newsletter today. Have a read.

I’m looking forward to the release of the new Narnia movie in a few days. I hope Disney will forgive me using a detail of their movie poster above. Click on Aslan's picture to visit the movie website.


1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to the movie, too. And after your HP recommendations, I plan on giving ol' Harry another read and see the latest movie.

    ReplyDelete