Saturday, December 23, 2006

An Old Tradition and a New One



One of my favorite activities at Christmastime is taking 30 minutes to meditate on the meaning of the event as I stand in our annual Nativity Scene at Trinity United Methodist Church. My family usually stands in the scene on Christmas Eve, but this Christmas Eve I will be busy fetching my eldest from the Atlanta airport. So we took our turn tonight. Our shift included the following cast: Joseph - me; Mary - Sheila; Angels - daughter Lillian and Niece Nora; Wise Guy, er... Man- Sheila's brother Jim, Shepherd - Jim's wife, Sally. The picture above was a little earlier when Joseph and Mary were portrayed by a more age-appropriate pair - my nephew Jonathan and his friend Morgan.

Yesterday my family and Jim's participated in what I hope will become a tradition. The Three Rivers Singers, an orchestra of local musicians, and four wonderful soloists from the Shorter and Berry college faculties, led a community "Handel's Messiah Sing-a-Long". Though I have sung parts of the Messiah before, it's been many years and I did not add much to the choruses from my seat in the back balcony of the wonderfully acoustical Berry College Chapel. What a marvelous concert and how wonderful that the audience could join in those inspiring choruses.


No comments:

Post a Comment