Sunday, October 06, 2013

Gleaning Facebook: 2013 National Festival is over

The Festival is over. We really missed several of our favorites... John McCutcheon & Carmen Deedy, Bill Harley, Barbara McBride-Smith, Kevin Kling, David Holt, Willy Clafin... but there was not a weak teller in the bunch. We discovered several new-to-us favorites this time around... Diane Ferlatte, Joe Bruchak, Geraldine Buckley, Victoria Burnett. And of course we did have a few "old standbys", my FB friend, Sheila Kay Adams, Bil Lepp, Donald Davis, and the fellow from whom I borrowed a couple of my old standby stories, Ed Stivender. I'm rooting for a return of several of the above next year, and maybe Doug Elliott,  Suzi Whaples -- Suzi's "Thong" story is the single most hilarious moment in our Jonesborough experience of five years, and believe you me that's saying something --  Tersi Bendiburg, and/or my favorite Scot teller, Tom Muir of the Orkney Islands -- from whose online videos I "borrowed" two of my favorite recent tales.

Keep checking my blog. I am working on posts to cover our whole wonderful experience here.
We bought our tickets for next October this afternoon. Our advance old folks tickets for the weekend were discounted. If I can get a couple of full-pay storytelling gigs between now and then those will be paid for -- unfortunately this "professional storytelling" has not been very remunerative so far.


I hope some of my Facebook friends will join us here in Jonesborough next year. It is a lot of fun. But please also try to make it to some local events. We have several outstanding tellers right in Floyd County!

Now I've got to work on my turtle story for my Midway kindergartners... I'll be there Tuesday.

















Tersi Bendiburg

I'm so glad you had such a great time and got to listen to great tellers. Safe travels as you make your way home. Love you both!


Sheila Matthews Shaw
Thank you, Tersi! Love you too!


Suzi Whaples

Terrell, That is so kind of you to say. Thank you munches


Terrell Shaw

It was great to see you, if briefly, at the festival, Suzi.


Ruth Baird Shaw

Terrell..you should be among the “tellers"

 

Terrell Shaw

I would love to be Mother, but I'll have to, at least, do some telling in a few festivals beyond Rome to ever get there. The festival I am anxious to have is the Shaw Family festival. I have several personal stories I enjoy telling, but many more I want to develop. BUT I need my Mother and siblings, and other family to help me fill out a few stories with details and forgotten names and associations.... not just for my telling, but because it's just so much fun. I want us to have an organized, disorganized storytelling at our Christmas and Thanksgiving gathering this year. everyone should bring a list of funny, touching, instructive, inspiring events to tell and gain more info and insight into. That part of the last couple of Baird reunions has been wonderful. I just wish we had videoed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment