Saturday, October 19, 2013

Gleaning Facebook: Announcement

 ANNOUNCEMENT

To my many much-loved friends and relatives with whom I have political disagreement: There is sometimes some confusion about the purpose of my posts. Please accept this announcement as a friendly reminder.
You may notice that I rarely comment on opposing views on others' walls. I post on my blog and on my own FB wall in order to non-confrontationally express myself. My political posts are not intended to begin or extend debate but to simply express myself and give some support to those friends and relatives that may, like me, feel a bit lonely in Northwest Georgia in regard to our political views.
Still I welcome polite discussion from all points of view.
However, if you want to express your opinions:
• espousing fake scandals (Benghazi/IRS, etc);
• that I have a delusion about an earthly savior in [whatever is your preferred insulting substitution for the president's name];
• that I am brainwashed:
• that I am blind to some grand secret conspiracy to destroy America;
• etc.;
... then do that on your own wall.

Lots of Comments:

Terri Morgan
I need a "LOVE" button for this!!!

Ruth Baird Shaw
Sadly..in today's political climate...this seems to work both ways...with " Liberals" believing Conservative"s are "brainwashed " and "Conservatives" believing" Liberals" are "brainwashed."...

David Marlin Rains
Can I get a Witness?

David Dake
Terrell. Thank You
Can I share that?

Terrell Shaw
Of course, David.

Rob Friar
Terrell, well said...sometimes I prevent myself from stating a particular political belief or thought on my wall because I feel like I will offend someone or start a mindless "flame war" forgetting that, dog-on-it, its' my wall and I can say what I want, and if people who have friended me dont like it, they can hide me, or if they choose, they can join in a civil, logic based, fake-news-free, discussion....thanks for reminding me of this... :>) can I share with a few modifications?

Kathrine Johns
Amen!

Christie Hufstedler Boyd
Have you seen my latest political post? There are two pages of comments on it and I have one or two small comments. The rest is just two people having at it and then another jumped in. It's my page, I don't have to say anything to post something I want. I'm with you, Terrell. It's my page.

Jim Howell
Thank you so much for your teaching and guidance through the years

Eric Wright
you are such a great man! thank you for being a great example for all!

June Lovenbury Warfield
You commented about finding like minded people in North Georgia. There must be at least 20 like minded people in Rome, since there is a UU church there and it has 20 members! There seems to be a huge correlation between liberal theology and progressive political thought.

Terrell Shaw
Of course you may share, Rob. Thanks, Jim. You and Joe, and your Dad and Aunt Ellen all have permanent spots in my heart. And Eric, I am far from a great man, but I try. Thanks.

Thanks, June. I have been pleased, though, to find quiet support for progressive politics from a sizable minority in my own very active and evangelical Methodist church.

Bill Cox
Terrell first I want you to know I think the world of you and you are a much more educated and wordly man than I. After that Pauline intro I must say you are as far left as the Tea Party is right. When one is obsessed on either side I cannot fall in line with their politics, because in a multi-party system and a nation as diverse as ours there are no black and white solutions to every issue.

Betty Smith Franklin
Years ago, there were 40. We went to see Gandhi in the theater on a Sunday afternoon and knew everyone there.

Terrell Shaw
"... in a multi-party system and a nation as diverse as ours there are no black and white solutions to every issue...." I absolutely agree with that much, Bill. That is why I have continued tp support the president despite some of the painful compromise positions he has taken. ðŸ™‚
BTW I think Bill Cox can hold his own in any discussion.
There are plenty of folk to my left, but certainly more to my right --- evidently a whole lot more here in our section of Georgia.
Seven years ago, during GW Bush's second administration, I wrote a summary of my political beliefs called "Why I Am A Democrat" (link below). I think it still says it pretty well. And I still maintain that my individual stances are mostly well within the mainstream of American political thought. I would point out that I have voted with the largest group of voters in 5 of the last 6 presidential elections. And we came pretty doggone close in 2004. ðŸ™‚

Laurie Craw
Terrell Shaw is "as far left as the Tea Party is right"??? I don't think I'll live to see the day when Terrell shuts down the U.S. government and threatens to crash the global financial system...or votes for any "far left" Congressman who would. Glad you speak for the lonely minority in my beloved home state.

Terrell Shaw
Thank, Laurie. As I've said, one reason I speak out is to let folks know that, even near the birthplace of John Birch and in Larry MCDonald's old district, there are people, without horns and tics and tin-foil hats, who see things differently from the JBS (basically the same folks now called the Tea Party).

Erskine Thompson
Mr. Shaw: I probably disagree with you diametrically on most all things regarding the body politic. However, I absolutely respect but you and your opinions. I hope this country, and by extension the online universe, never reaches a point at which we are not free to "agree to disagree," make our opinions known, and still be friends at the end of the day. As we learn in elementary school English class, opinions are never right nor wrong; they are always simply opinions, and yours always are, if nothing else, good for thought. God bless.

Julie Ingram Gatanis
Very well said, both here and the blog. Have you thought of running for office? 

Terrell Shaw
Been there, done that. (1984 - got whupped good) A great experience, but never again. 

Bob Doster
Changing tactics I see.

Julie Ingram Gatanis
Maybe 84 wasn't your time... Maybe now is...

Terrell Shaw
Unlikely Julie. 

Kathy Cannon Rogers
Love your post. I'm a bit lonely in nw ga:)

Christie Hufstedler Boyd
Mr. Walton, I'm sorry but I don't agree with you. Under the Democratic state governments we used to have Georgia was steadily climbing out of the economic morose we have since slithered back down to the bottom of the barrel again. All the progressive movement in state government happened under the Democrats. I don't for the life of me understand how any woman could vote for a Republican. 
And I don't believe in just handing money out right and left. I earned my way through college with three scholarships and won the top honor out of 6000 students. I am still in debt for student loans though and try as hard as I can, I haven't found a job. That's okay, we may not be rich monetarily but we are rich in the things that count.
I work in the Free Clinic of Rome and at Women of W.O.R.T.H. We see patients at the Free Clinic for no cost just as the name implies. We have patients that work, we have Hispanic patients that have citizenship and some that never will. At W.o.W., we provide low cost reproductive health care to women. You'd be surprised how many patients of ours work. They don't make enough money to afford insurance or they don't get enough hours to qualify for insurance at their work. Our patient ratio of abnormal paps is about 21%, that's nearly 3 times the national average. If we could do paps on women every year and catch problems before it turns to cancer, lives would be saved. Instead, the state of Georgia chooses to do nothing for women in these circumstances but will give them Medicaid if they are diagnosed with cervical cancer. It costs about $45,000 for each patient for the first six months of treatment. Where's the sense in that?

Terrell Shaw
Thank you Josh. I respect your heartfelt belief, and share bits of it. Yes, we must maintain innovation, energy, ambition in our communities. The President has offered longterm solutions, though some disagree with them. Politics and greed will always exist in every place where two or more are gathered. And there will always be fraud and inefficiencies in government as there is in business. At least in a republic we have that vote, and the political power of the common man has a better chance of results than his power to influence insurance companies and corporations.

Ruthy Countryman
Terrell, you're not alone in NW GA!

Raymond Atkins
not by a long shot...
Laura L Adams
I know some Liberals still in the Closet because of the hostility of others. Can't wait for the mid-term elections. Georgia will remain red but we might regain a Congressional Majority thanks to the Shutdown!

Deborah Lake Dawson
Say it again!



























No comments:

Post a Comment