Monday, June 05, 2023

Sentimental Half Hour

It's great to be friends with Santa -- or is it the Goatman? JK!

I had a great time today telling stories and showing off Todd the Corn Snake to to 43 folks gathered at Cedartown Library today. 

When I left, instead of turning onto Main and rolling up the usual route on Hwy 27, I crossed over to College St. and Julie Peek and on out to Booger Hollow Road. It is a parallel and more scenic and, to me, more sentimental route to Rome. 

When I got to the Dooley/Burton place and saw cars I decided to take a short break. Maintaining close friendships over many decades takes some effort, and I haven't seen Michael J. Burton since he had a health scare last month.  Mike, (above) has been my friend since 1962. Mike is a couple of years older than me and despite the aforementioned health challenges he still outworks me and any two other men my age you can name. Today he showed off the work he and Cody have been doing converting a barn into living quarters. I should have gotten a picture or two there. This I snapped just before I drove away. 

Mike built the house in this picture around and over the Dooley farm house that stood here when he bought the place (about 1980?? or so). 

Mike and I spent about thirty minutes or so catching up. 

The world has changed a lot and is peopled very differently from when we first met at Trinity United Methodist Church so long ago. Mike and I have a long and varied history as friends for so long. We have shared moments of great joy and great sorrow. We have sweated side by side nailing roofing, building walls, growing tomatoes, corralling goats, chasing cows, picking antique or junked building materials from miles around, camping in the pasture, swimming in the creek, running a summer camp, making movies, telling tales, playing chess, setting up at craft fairs, organizing a coffee house and hootenannies, and hauling a giant walnut stump from the  dump. I could go on. 

So many interesting and joyful times I would have missed without this good friend. 


No comments:

Post a Comment