Saturday, June 17, 2023

Jesus, John Wesley, and Papa

We don't really know what Jesus looked like. This was the most common
depiction of Christ from my childhood days. Often small churches had this print framed at the front of the sanctuary.

Recently I read the Bible straight through from Genesis to Revelations. I was struck again at what a revolution the New Testament is.

God is love. And Jesus' great commandment is all about love. Love God and love your neighbor. 

John Wesley

John Wesley the founder of Methodism declared that his parish was the whole world. My understanding is that our "neighbors" are all our fellow earthlings, folks.

Papa (Benjamin Wilson Baird)

When a cousin went to my grandfather, a lay Methodist preacher and farmer, for advice as he was considering a call to preach, Papa told him: "Don't try to scare folks into the Kingdom, son; you've got to love them into it."

I cherish my heritage as a United Methodist Christian. 

I sincerely hope my friends at my local church, Trinity United Methodist, will vote on Sunday to keep our congregation going into its 149th year.

Stay United Methodist.


No comments:

Post a Comment