Saturday, July 08, 2023

Gale Harrison

 Sheila and I were so saddened to read this Facebook post from our friend Betty Smith Franklin on Independence Day:

My dear friend Gale, diligent patriot, brilliant teacher of political science, and companion on many adventures died today, July 4.
Adams and Jefferson, who helped invent the country she loved died on July 4, as old men as well.
Betty attached a video of Paul Simon singing "American Tune".
Here are some of the comments on that post:

Janet Shope So sorry for your loss, Betty.
Justine Skaar
So sorry
Kyra Osmus I'm so sorry to hear this. As one of the few women of our generation in political science, her life was filled with diligent study, joy in life, and love of family and friends. She also shouldered a lot of responsibility. I'm so glad to have known her. You were such an important part of her life.
Doty Barnard Dunn
I am saddened by Gale’s death. She was a remarkable woman.
Sarah Church Liebman Oh Betty. What a loss. You two have been together through thick and thin, thick and thin. May her memory be a blessing.
Betty Smith Franklin
Yes, Sarah, since our 20s. For many years I had my own political consultant. What luxury--no TV pundits. Also, she had such a good memory for retelling our adventures and high lighting the best parts.And of course she loved my friends and was never jealous.
Sarah Church Liebman Betty Smith Franklin
she was such a dear person. Just like you, she made the table seem like it has just been waiting for *you* to arrive.

Shari R Barr May her memory be a blessing. May all who love her be comforted, especially you, Betty.
Betty Smith Franklin Shari R Barr
thank you.
Janet Rice Stivers I’m so saddened to hear about your longtime dear friend Gale. I was happy I got to call her my friend also through you. She certainly left a remarkable legacy (even joining Adams and Jefferson on her July 4th date of death)! Also loved the Paul Simon video. Sending my love to you
Betty Smith Franklin Janet Rice Stivers
thank you Janet. I learned so much from Gale over the years.
Chris Warner
Love you dearly, holding you close in my heart. God bless Gale, may her memory be eternal 

Betty Womack Betty, Marshall and I are sorry to hear Gale died. I enjoyed being on committees with her at First Presbyterian Church in Statesboro. You were a great friend when really needed one.
Ursula Sterling I’m so sorry, Betty.
Betty Smith Franklin
Her good manners and openness to others made a big difference in the quality of care she received in her last few years both in assisted living where many people thought she was part of the recreation staff, and in her last year in memory care.
Steffanie Bowles I’m sorry to hear this, she was a good friend for sure
Eulalia Benejam Cobb
I am sorry, dear Betty. May the memory of your many adventures together comfort you.

R. Danielle Egan I am sorry for the loss of this lovely woman who shared so many special moments with you. Those kind of connections are rare and lovely. May you hold her in your heart and find comfort in all the good parts of your stories.

Betty Smith Franklin R. Danielle Egan thank you all for acknowledging this loss and this joy in my life
Jane Hudak
So sorry to hear this news. Gale was so special and we all loved her tremendously. She truely was a person committed to fighting injustice. We sure had some good times together. Feeling heartbroken. 

------------------- 

Gale became our friend when she was a political science professor at Floyd Junior College (now Georgia Highlands College) as we were involved with organizing a Rome chapter of the National Organization for Women.(N.O.W.). She was our fellow fighter for progressive candidates and causes (like the ERA) in the seventies and eighties. I am not sure what year she left Floyd. We had not seen her in years but had occasionally gotten updates on her from Betty. The world is a poorer place without her but a better place for her influence on it.

The 9' x 3' banner we made to carry in marches during the battle for the ERA through our Rome chapter of N.O.W.

No comments:

Post a Comment