Saturday, January 15, 2011

Gleaning Facebook: Armuchee In the Snow

McGraw Entrance to our Nature Trail
Cathy McGraw’s father built this nice entrance way to our school nature trail. The split rail fence designates the area where we once had a bog garden (now gone) of interesting insectivorous plants. I hope someone will resurrect that project some day.


Bridge #1
This was the Eagle Scout project of AES alumnus Jesse Crider and Troop 56 BSA. This bridge gives classes access from the small original nature trail to a newer downstream section of trail.


The second bridge on our nature trail
Carsten Boehm, another alumnus of AES, and Troop 56 built this bridge as Carsten’s Eagle project.



Third bridge site (proposed)
This is near the back corner of our school property. We plan to place another bridge here. Last year the Martin twins cleared the new sections of the trail, installed occasional bollards, and created a switchback trail up the ridge from this point.


Our brook (a)
Today I took the upstream trail breaking with each step the crusted untrod surface of three-day-old snow.
CCC pond
Closer to the end of the fifth grade hall than the school bus entrance is a little pond and wetland that was part of a CCC camp during the Great Depression. Today a Great Blue Heron and I surprised each other. I was too slow to capture a decent shot of him. A couple of years ago a pair of Canada Geese made a nest right in the middle of it.



CCC pond (Berry property)
There ia a Great Blue Heron in flight across the pond, but you can't really see him. Next time I get close to the pond with the camera I'll have it zoomed in and set on rapid fire.

CCC pond (on Berry property)
Barbara Helie
My dad was in the CCC's in New Hampshire.

Terrell Shaw
How about that. I have seen somewhere -- I think online -- a picture of this pond from the thirties with CCC guys and their barracks and such around. Did you ever talk with your Dad about his experiences. What kind of work did his group do?


Our brook (b) on Patterson property
I wish the school owned just another 100 yards of property. I love this low spot at the base of the ridge where two very small brooks and a wet weather waterfall form our school brook. An absolutely perfect spot for some more benches and outdoor lessons


The second bridge again
This bridge gives access to what I call “The Long Trail” that follows the brook to the very corner of school property then climbs the ridge and follows it back to the old trail near the McGraw entrance.

The first bridge again
We have a much more interesting name for this bridge, provided we ever manage to install the third one.


Outdoor Classroom
The huge benches were our first Boy Scout Eagle project at our school 15 years ago. The second was the platform that completed this outdoor classroom. Though the leafless winter branches you can see the fifth grade wing of the school.
McGraw Entrance and Fifth Grade wing
And this brings me back to the entrance and an end to my quiet Snow Walk.


Armuchee Creek
After a walk around the courtyards and playground, I decided to see if the view off the Little Texas Valley bridge over the Armuchee Creek might be worthy of a photograph.
Ann Gore
Beautiful view!! My family were raised here in this area.

Little Texas Valley bridge
I found the bridge and the road up the hill on the far side completely covered with thick, hardened ice. After taking a few shots I managed to get my car rotated in increments of a few degrees at a time till I could drive back the way I’d come.
Ann Gore
Have gone over this bridge hundreds to times to see my grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment