Monday, January 10, 2011

Gleaning Facebook: January Snow

Oostanaula House - Home Sweet Home Ann Gore
This too beautiful!!!
Laura L. Adams
Timeless beauty.

Gorgeous snow out there this morning. I'm bundled up. Gonna take a walk and get some pics. Ahhh... oughta happen about twice a year. One or two days then melt quickly. Beautiful! (I'll be careful down the steps -- already salted them.) Hope the roads clear enough for me to get some pics on the school nature trail before it melts.

Teresa A Ware
be careful out there


Betty Smith Franklin
Smell the air in the pines.


Terrell Shaw
Will magnolias and hackberries do?


Joan Shaw Turrentine
It's a beautiful morning, isn't it? Brings out the poet in me.


Terrell Shaw
Yeah, my first cutline for the levee picture inadvertently rhymed:
Early morning, snowy day,
from the levee on Avenue A.


Wendy Ramsey
We have heard from people who have been out trying to get to work or home - 27 is icy. You be careful if you do decide to come out this way.


Terrell Shaw

Wish I had a horse, Wendy.

Though he and others might think it queer... to continue our poetic theme here.


Terrell Shaw
I almost decided to forego the opportunity (above) at a poetic allusion to avoid confusion in more modern minds, but I refuse to have my language hijacked - when I need to know the sex of a person on a form, for example, I ask for their sex not their "gender"! What cantankerous old curmudgeon I have become.


Bob Doster
I hope you paid the Frost estate their just rewards for so blatant use of his words.


Terrell Shaw
I actually stealthily stuffed those words in my pocket when we visited the room where he wrote them near Arlington VT a few years back. Figured he'd never miss 'em.


Terrell Shaw
We visited there a few years back. He wrote 'em a few additional years back...


Bob Doster
Always knew you were a sneaky sort.


Terrell Shaw
<evil grin>


The mouth of Burwell creek on the Oostanaula directly across the river from our house. (This is the creek that will be channelized and th wetland that will be filled with huge quantities of fill material if the city goes through with its unconscionable plan to sell part of our downtown greenspace for a song to the Ledbetter developers for yet another strip mall. Write the city commissioners and the newspaper!)

Ann Gore
Hope that doesn't happen. So beautiful!!


Nan Payne Rhinehart
It won't look like a postcard if Ledbetter gets it


Our house and Avenue A -- not much traffic today. And the trash trucks have not run!


Comments


Ann Gore
Looks like a postcard!!!


Deborah Lake Dawson
Love your house. Is it very old? I have always dreamed of buying an old house and restoring it. This looks like a picture out of a storybook:)


Ruth Baird Shaw
The picture is perfect. It would be a perfect picture to email to Fox News (channel 52) When i had TV on Fox News an hour or so ago...they were asking for snow pictures from the South. You could do a little slumming and send that one? <smile> You want me to send it?


Ruth Baird Shaw
Lillian and Brannon ...does it make you homesick to see your beautiful home surrounded with picture book snow?


Ruthie Langston Terry
I had no idea you lived on this street. My aunt used to live in the little one story at the end of the street and I and my cousins would slide down the levy on flattened cardboard boxes. I love Ave. A and all the fun times I had there. There were big pecan trees in the yard and my grandfather would sit in the swing and whittle. He lived with my aunt. Beautiful houses there. Send this photo to Fox. It is so beautiful.


Brannon Shaw
A little. I've only gotten snowed in to work since I've lived here.


Deb Joyner Dennemann
Terrell, you have my dream house! Please may I publish this gorgeous photo in the newsletter?
Hugs, Deb drumbeat@cinci.rr.com


Alice Jeffries Keel
Beautiful picture!


Mary Ann Schuessler
Alice, didn't Gordon live on Avenue A too? The restoration of this street is awesome. Beautiful, Terrell...


Terrell Shaw
Gordon lived up the street on the opposite side... green asbestos siding and lots of ironwork on the front porch.


Terrell Shaw
Deb, you are welcome to use my pics in the Drumbeat. Folks might be interested in the other snow pic album too.


Deb Joyner Dennemann
Cool beans! Thanks


Snowy morning on the levee



Joan Shaw Turrentine
Beautiiful, beautiful pictures, Terrell. Surveying a quiet snowy landscape creates the same serenity for me that observing an endless expanse of ocean does.


Terrell Shaw
We have an added eerie beauty in these modern days, looking out past midnight on the beautiful downtown landscape unkempt human detritus swept under a white carpet illuminated by multiply-reflected city lamps and signs - an artificial twilight. No flashlight would have been needed for a long snowy walk before dawn this morning.


Lillian Shaw
Did you just write a poem, Dad?


Terrell Shaw
Not on purpose, but the view before dawn this morning was worthy of one. (I'd have taken out "beautiful" at the least had I been aiming for officially creative writing... remember Twain's adage "As to the adjectives, when in doubt, leave it out."

Ann Gore
Beautiful pics!!!



Avenue A looking toward town.

No comments:

Post a Comment