Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Gleaning Facebook: Long Walk In the Snow

I walked out to record the snow depth. This on the top of the Taurus.



But after walking to the top of the levee I thought, why not walk down the levee far enough to get nice shot of the courthouse and clocktower... after there's virually no traffic on Turner-McCall. I can scoot across, snap a pic and be back in at my Mac in five minutes. (Oostanaula River bridge, Turner-McCall Blvd.



Why not take a few more minutes and get some more downtown shots?



I'm the second guy down the Riverwalk this morning. The first may have been a duck in boots.


We have a very picturesque courthouse, so your picaresque reporter snaps it often...



....near and far.....



No photo description available.
...through the riverside branches...

...reflected in the river...



Another downtown dweller was out for a romp in the snow with his two pretty dogs. I asked if I could snap them.




He obligued. They were ready to romp!



I wanted the dogs for foreground to the downtown buildings. They mostly presented aft views, but I managed a few of their faces. Here the Forum in the background.



This fellow enjoyed the day nearly as much as I did!





All of your shots are really good, I love this one....


Looks like fun!


Laura L. Adams
Amazing


The Second Avenue and Robert Redden bridges span the Oostanaula at its confluence with the Etowah.  Imagine the bridges torn down or burned, bedraggled Confederates dug in on Myrtle Hill in the background, as Sherman and his army take Broad Street and downtown in May 1864.

The dogs find me again

I think the old Battey buildings - now the brick hotel and the empty barn-like building - were there even in the Balleaus (sp) Pictorial of the 1850s.




Refurbished Barron Stadium and its new green carpet under a white carpet.

Barbara Helie
so many memories here.

Terrell Shaw
Ain't it the truth, Barbara... from days when it was turned differently even!

The river side of the levee across from Barron. Fun!

Airborne! Whee!

J. Chris Lawler
Terry, Great action shot! What camera settings did you use? What kind of camera and lens? I'm getting into photography with a Rebel Tsi with 18-55mm & 55-250mm lenses. Would welcome suggestions!

Terrell Shaw
Hey Chris! I have a Canon Rebel EOS too, the Xsi. I only have the standard 18/55mm lens. I used the auto sports setting for multiple shots on this one, to assure I caught him in the air. I lay in the snow about halfway down the levee near the "bump" and waited. He came a little closer to me than I hoped so I ended up chopping his head a bit. I do a lot of cropping and other digital adjustments in iPhoto though I think the cropping and maybe a little dodging* is all I did to this one. Since my pics mainly intended for web viewing and not prints I don't havta be too persnickety.
* the proper digital term is "tone mapping," I'm told, but I'm about as old as Chris Lawler and set in my ways.

Happy return climb -- let's do it again!

Dad's turn.

Dad's turn.

Uh-oh.

Banks of the Coosa just downstream from the confluence.

Barbara Helie
Looking toward Coosa Country Club?

Terrell Shaw
Actually downstream from CCC... looking toward Horseleg Creek Rd from Heritage Park. I guess the farther parts of the golf course would be in the bend on the left of the pic.


The few brave sledders.

The confluence of the Oostanaula and Etowah where they form the Coosa, the South Broad Bridge, and Bridge Point Plaza.

Annette Winningham
The Coosa joins the Tallapoosa below Montgomery to form the Alabama, it's nice to see the Coosa upstream.

Terrell
...thence the Alabama which joins the Tombigbee to make the wide Mobile River that empties into Mobile Bay. ðŸ˜‰

Myrtle Hill and the mingling waters of three rivers.

The confluence with the Redden Bridge and the South Broad Bridge.

The Robert Redden Bridge. It rotated on the center column so steamboats could pass.

The Coosa from the confluence.

The Coosa from the Robert Redden Bridge looking toward Heritage Park. Back in 1976 Sheila was on the committee to name this park. Among the names submitted was "Oostanaulawah Park". Sheila voted for "Steamboat Landing Park" but "Heritage Park" won the day. We stood just at the end of the bridge for the park dedication on the day of our nation's bicentennial, July 4,197

Laura L. Adams
This one should be entitled "perspective!" On so many levels...





Jackson Hill, frosted.

Ahh.. tiny intimations of spring defying winter's blast.


The Coosa from Bridgepoint Plaza.

A red oak's stubborn leaves add a splash of color to the monochrome landscape.


First Avenue at Broad.

Alice Jeffries Keel
Roger, Skip, Stranger?

Barbara Helie
Looking south?

Terrell
Yes, standing beside the BBQ place. That's Christie's Office Supply on the left.

Barbara Helie
The old theater would have been behind you, right?

Terrell
Nope... The old 1st Ave Theater woulda been in the upper right of this pic. That's Southeastern Mills on the right in the pic. Christie's, the brick bldg on the left here, is on the right in the next pic.

Barbara Helie
thanks for the orientation. it's so hard when you have not lived in Rome for so long. I love it though. it is near and dear to my heart.


Broad Street from the South Broad Bridge. Imagine the flood of 1886. A riverboat steamed up Broad all the way to Fifth Avenue, they say. 
Or 1863-4 when the Broad Street buildings were used as hospitals for wounded from the battles in Northwest Georgia. 
Or August 1914 when the street was draped in black bunting and lined with mourners watching Rome's favorite son, Woodrow Wilson, accompanying his beloved Ellie on her final journey from the church where they met ...

Alice Jeffries Keel
I have a phot of my Daddy on Broad Street that Day

Deb Joyner Dennemann
cool...... LOVE the history lesson to go with it.

Terrell
Alice do you mean the Wilson funeral day? Check out these pics:

Alice
Thanks they are very interesting. I want to save them and look more closely. I tried to scan my little copy of the photograph I mentioned and post it. It did not turn out so well as I would have liked.

...to her burial spot on Myrtle Hill overlooking the river where they courted.

In just a week I and many other Romans will gather at this corner to begin a memorial march up Broad to celebrate changes inspired by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and to rededicate ourselves to promoting the cause of brotherhood.

Well, I'm bundled up. I've got warm waterproof hiking boots. When will I get another chance to photograph my favorite city under five inches of snow. I'll climb up Myrtle Hill... carefully.

Barbara Helie
these are all beautiful Terry. thank you so much for all of us who can only see Rome through your eyes and camera lens.

Terrell
Thank you, Barbara, for your comments. You probably shouldn't encourage me! ðŸ˜‰ I sure had a good time on this crazy cold all-afternoon walk.

Zelda Buford
I enjoyed them as well. Encouragement, encouragement, encouragement... ðŸ˜®




The best views of the city are not from the summit but from treeless spots on lower terraces of Myrtle Hill.


Imagine the perspective of those remnant Confederates watching their city burn from these heights.

Annette Winninham
Terrell, I noticed the name Shropshire on this headstone, you know my Aunt Evelyn married Hubert Shropshire, I haven't been able to identify Hubert's family past his father. Very interesting.

Terrell
A proud name in Rome. I knew Forrest Shropshire here who was a local historian.

Ruth Baird Shaw
Hubert Stropshire grew up on Ivy Street [in Porterdale, GA], one street over from Hazel Street where I lived. I knew Hubert, a couple of years younger than i and his parents and sisters when i saw them but not well.



Imagine Broad Street lowered one level. Some of the Cotton Block buildings still have an original first floor, now a basement since lower Broad Street was raised to avoid flooding.

Barbara Helie
did they raise the bridge or did that come later?

A higher view.




The largest tomb on Myrtle is the resting place for one of Rome's most famous sons, Dr. Robert Battey.

The Confederate monument from the steps to Broad Street.



I love this old cemetery.

Annette Winningham
We share this love Cuz.

Barbara Helie
I used to love to explore this cemetery as a kid. Oh the stories these folks could tell.  ðŸ™‚



Looking down on the confluence of the rivers. Etowah in the foreground, the Oostanaula and four of its bridges beyond.





The confluence again. Imagine several steamboats loading cotton on all banks.

Several of the most photographed folks in Rome are made of stone.

Laura L. Adams
more wow.

Lillian Shaw
Ah, the angel picking her nose.

Terrell Shaw
Ha. Ha.

Joan Shaw Turrentine
These pictures are an education in local history. Go to Lulu and make a book!

Lisette Lewis
Uncle Terry, These are beautiful photos. I enjoyed looking at them!


You have to be careful of your angle when photographing this angelic statue or you make it appear that she has a nasty habit regarding her nose.

Barbara Helie
this one would be beautiful framed!!!


Looking back, mine are the only prints here this day. This oldest marker in the cemetery is in a lonely spot today. During the Siege of Rome the top of John Billup's marker is said to have been shot off.

Whenever I visit Myrtle Hill I have to stop by and say hello to one of my favorite folk here, Martha King. Martha was our friend (and friend to my parents). She taught and counseled in Floyd County Schools for several decades, including time at McHenry School. She was one of the most well-known Methodist laypersons in our area, serving our church, Trinity, where she lived literally next door, but also the North Georgia Conference, the General Conference, and even attending worldwide Methodist gathering. She is revered in the Model Community where she served as high school counselor for many years. Her marker is nearly obscured by the snow in the far corner of the lot. The tall marker is for her grandfather, Walter Reece.



Persistent leaves on another oak add a splash of color. 


About four hundred men were buried at Myrtle Hill during the Civil War, mostly Confederate but a few Union.

Jagdeep Singh
...aren't these the graves all marked "unknown" ... what a loss of fine young men ... wars, they're the worst!

Terrell
Many are unknown but some have names engraved. 377 in all.



One Confederate soldier's marker has been almost cmpletely engulfed by this tree. 


Looking back up the hill from the Confederate cemetery.



The relatively new gate at the main entrance.

The sidewalk on Myrtle Street.

Monument to the Women of the Confederacy
Barbara Helie
Imagine having the war on our soil again. These women were amazing.

Alice Jeffries Keel
Yes they were!!!! I always am reminded how isolated everyone was - communication was so much more limited. How lucky we are to be able to share thoughts as we are doing - almost instantly. To have such life canging events taking place at a distance that we would consider commuting distance today and having to wait so long for any kind of news. I would not have done well at all!

Terrell
Sometimes I feel like I live in somebody's science fiction book.



On the left the Nathan Bedford Forrest monument. The women's monument on the right. The area beyond is a relatively new plaza honoring veterans with the famous "Known Soldier's grave in the center. A ceremony is held here at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month each year to honor the men and women who have served our nation in the armed services.

This recent addition is a bronze overlooking the Known Soldiers grave.

Alice Jeffries Keel
Amazing statue, I think so anyway!

Barbara Helie
Looks like he could raise up and talk to you.


What the heck, I'm here. I got distracted and didn't make it quite to the summit, why not go back up by a different route. Here is Ellen Axson Wilson's grave and those of her parents. Woodrow Wilson described "Miss Ellie Lou" as having, "what splendid laughing eyes!" when they first met in downtown Rome. (Whoops... Actually they had "met" when he was six and she a baby, but...)

Ruth Baird Shaw
Geat pictures! Must give Warren that picture. Ellen Axson Wilson is one of his causes....

Alice Jeffries Keel
I believe that her father was the minister who married my grandparents.


I'd like to know the story of this little fellow reaching plaintive arms toward the angel. Anybody know it?


Confederate monument from the north side. 


Daniel Mitchell was one of the five guys who met to found our fair city. He's the one who deposited the lucky name that was drawn from the hat, Rome. And he's the fellow who only a year or so before his death built our house. This is his grave. I always have to greet him on my visits here.

Joan Shaw Turrentine
I have learned a lot about our home town from these pics.

Alice Jeffries Keel
Any comment on the symbolism of this monument? I have seen it before but no one has explained it to me?

Barbara Helie
Terry, you really should put these pictures and comments into a book. I, for one, would love to have it in book format.



Another angel. 

From the Mitchell grave, looking toward the Confederate cemetery.

Barbara Helie
Just beautiful!!!


Another look straight on at the Confederate guard. Wonder what he'd think of us gathering at the base of Broad, directly behind him on January 17?  I admire my Confederate forebears for their undeniable bravery and determination, for their love of country, but what a terrible shame that they were so blinded by tradition and prejudice and greed that they would provoke the evil plague of our nation's deadliest war to preserve enslavement of other people.

Barbara Helie
We could debate the underlying reason for the Civil War, as many have done before us. Personally, states rights continues to be an ongoing issue in our country today.

Terrell
Thanks for the comment, Barb... I'm not looking for an argument but I'd like to give a bit more of my opinion. 
🙂
Yes that debate still goes on. From fourth grade on Robert E. Lee has been among my greatest heroes. I have reveled in reading the genius and bravery of Southern leaders and have been proud of my 16 yr-old great-great who lied to enlist in the First Ga Cavalry and my much older great grandfather on the other side who after the younger men had gone and the war effort needed the still more men, left his family and farm to help lead the company of Fayette and Spaulding fellows in the 53rd Ga Infantry. I believe that the rank and file fought the Union mainly because their Armies were down here shooting at us. They were fighting for hearth and home. 
But, unfortunately, despite the claims of some of my good friends, I have reached the conclusion that there is just no denying the centrality of the slavery issue as the cause of the war. Our leaders did not mince words in their calls for secession. 
For example...
The Mississippi secession declaration proclaimed "A blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization."
S. Carolina's declared there was "...an increasing hostility on the part of the non-slaveholding States to the institution of slavery."

Walter Jack Gibson
Mr. Shaw you have a good eye for photography. The frameing and composition are supurb.



Another angel.

Alice Jeffries Keel
Can't make out the name....

Terrell
Tippin


The top of the Battey tomb helps to frame this famous view of our city. 


Yet another view of the Confederate monument.


And another.

And another. Trying to get the unusual angle. I needed Lillian there.


It was perfectly safe to stand right in the middle of one of downtown's busiest intersections and snap pictures! 


Buddy Mitchell Plaza is not only a beautiful little memorial to a great civic leader, but (and most folks don't know this) it is also his final resting place. His ashes are mixed with the mortar used to construct the relief sculpture and fountain.

Joan Shaw Turrentine
Fascinating!

Alice Jeffries Keel
Glad I know that - hope I can remember it to share in future visit.


The John Ross pedestrian bridge and the wildly popular Town Green. No children running through fountains today, though


So I stopped in the new Cups & Mugs Coffee shop for a cup o' joe to warm myself up. Talked with the folks there for a while including Facebook friends and fellow thespians, the Asbury family. Then on down the street. I decide against a trip up to the Clocktower and just snap it from Broad with the Masonic Temple as foreground.


Then up to the Library because I want a different angle on, you guessed it..


... the courthouse from the other bank of the Ostanaula..



...and reflected in the river between some snowy limbs...

Jagdeep Singh
...this probably is the best (though its hard to pick from your outstanding album) ... this could have been a painting

Joan Shaw Turrentine
Beautiful picture, Terrell. You should enter it in some contest or offer it for sale.

Lyn Davis
I thoroughly enjoyed your pictures! One of your many talents!


... after snapping the Riverwalk looking toward our house..


... and the nearly frozen Burwell Creek (write Rome City Commision, save this creek and wetland from destruction by the Ledbetter firm and shortsightedness) 

Alice Jeffries Keel
Where is this exactly? As a Floyd County land owner I guess I may be quaified to write?

Terrell
On Riverside Parkway. This pic is in Ridge Ferry Park. Ledbetter/City plans are to fill-in the "Duck Pond" below the Civic Center, and the surrounding wetland, reroute the creek, and build a strip shopping center between the Civic Center and Riverside Pkwy. I would be opposed to it at any price, but the city is practically giving the land to Ledbetter. There is NO shortage of retail space in the area. Our kids and grandkids will tahank us for preserving greenspace in the town's center. Any city father (or mother) who goes along with this will lose my vote and support forever.


The magnolia in the distance is in our yard.


Sewage is warm I s'pose.


One last eerie river view. Time to warm up.


----------

Comments on the Album

Tersi Bendiburg
Lovely!


Joan Shaw Turrentine
Thanks for sharing. These are great. I am impressed that you walked all the way to and up Myrtle Hill.


Nancy Waters Carr
nice


Bitsy Burton
What beautiful pictures! Can't believe you walked so far. I was afraid to even step on the driveway here (slick as ice).


Sandra Phillip Warren
Beautiful! You are a Great Photographer and narrator


Terrell Shaw
Joan, not only did I walk up it, I did so three times! When I neared the bottom the second time I realized I had dropped a glove, so I retraced my steps up to the summit then down he other side and found it near the Forrest Monument!


Jagdeep Singh
Amazing pictures Mr. Shaw and (as someone else said) narrative. I did venture out (and did my couple miles run) yesterday and was half a mind clicking some pictures around downtown myself ... but knowing there are vastly superior professionals and troopers like you already at work made me back off.


Janice Overstreet Cross
Wonderful! Thank You!


Naomi Liles Crouse
Wow - these are beautiful!


Barbara Jean Smith
Fabulous pictures!


Mary Clemones Stanley
Loved, loved, loved, the pictures of my hometown. Thanks so much for sharing.


Terrell Shaw
Thanks everyone for your kind words!

No comments:

Post a Comment