Sunday, January 18, 2015

Gleaning Facebook: Why Do We Hate the Poor?

I have never understood the absolute hatred toward the very poor that is often exhibited on FB and elsewhere. As a teacher during (can you believe it?) SIX decades, I saw many poor parents of poor kids. Some were lazy, some were "no account", but in no greater proportion to the whole of the class than the wealthy parents I dealt with, or the run-of-the-mill middle class parents. With a few notable exceptions on both ends and the middle, they all loved their kids and wanted them to succeed. With the welfare reforms of the nineties welfare cheating is a miniscule problem in our society compared to corporate/wealthy cheating.

Raymond Atkins
I think this country hates the poor because they are a constant reminder that "there but for the grace of God" go all of us. We want to attach blame to poverty because if we don't, then it becomes a random occurrence and a danger to us all.


John Paul Schulz
I think a lot of it is non-thinking rhetoric. People listen to what others say, think it is intelligent and think that they will be seen as intelligent if they repeat it as their own thought. I keep bringing up one of my favorite Kristofferson lines, "Everybody has to have someone to look down on."


Jackson Williamson
Fundamental attribution error.


Keith M. Padgett
I believe (from my own observations as the poor kid), people in America despise the poor because the existence of a poverty stricken class attacks the fundamental belief in America; Anyone can make it if they try hard enough. People would rather blame the poor for their situation than admit that it is a societal failing, because if it is a societal failing than the "American Dream" cannot exist.


Laurie Craw
There are so many "reasons" people don't get hired these days. Appearance, age, overly specific skill requirements, education, language, religion or lack thereof, race, criminal record, drug and alcohol use/abuse. It's a wonder any of us have the means to provide ourselves. And keeping a job in a boom/bust economy is a miracle. So, yes, we're all afraid and looking for someone to look better than.


Jaki Day
Thank you. Well said. 

pastedGraphic.png


Terrell Shaw
Keith M. Padgett
, you are one of my heroes. I'd like to see you use your articulate insight to write about some of these issues.
Of course, I might have to buy some lye soap and drive down there to wash your mouth out occasionally! 

pastedGraphic_1.png


Keith M. Padgett
Ha! @Mr.Shaw. My plan is to do just that. I'm on the path (In Criminology) to obtain a doctorate and become a professor and researcher. Hopefully in the area of policy reform, currently I'm devising a way to write my Masters thesis on Ferguson, specifically how to devise an experiment to support the theory that race really was the determining factor.


Lydia Simpson
Keith M. Padgett
: a study technique developed by Harvard researchers called Implicit Association Testing may help you frame your research. 

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html


Terrell Shaw
Wow. Maybe I need to rethink it, Sylvia! JK. 

pastedGraphic.png


Laura L Adams
I want to take your last sentence and create a meme. Would that be OK?


Terrell Shaw
Sure.


Michael J. Burton
Amen


Judy Manning
I don't hate the poor............oh, wait a minute, I are one.


Laurie Craw
The ante has been upped. Now, if you're not a millionaire, you're a "loser" or a "taker." In Republican Reality, we can all be millionaires! How is that possible?


Judy Manning
I think the resentment is toward those who are able to work but would rather depend on government support and those who spend their money on drugs and alcohol rather than feed their children. There are plenty of disabled people and those who are not qualified for the jobs that are available who need help. I personally don't know anyone who would want to see a family, child, Veteran, elderly, etc. go hungry and homeless and I don't think being Democrat or Republican has anything to do with it unless you are a politician. I find most politicians repugnant in their dishonesty and lack of integrity. I did say most, not all. Our government run programs are all very poorly organized and do not have the necessary oversight.

No comments:

Post a Comment