Monday, November 11, 2019

Gleaning Facebook: Wint's Baskets

 Great estate sale find, two signed Wint Barton baskets and a third that the owner says is also by Wint. We have a couple of his baskets but Wint & Frances were so soecial to our family I could not pass them by. The one on the left is in great shape and inscribed specifically to Rome’s legendary “Home Demonstration Agent” Margaret Gaylor, who died this year.


George Barton: The two bow bottoms are definitely his
Terrell Shaw: George Barton Those two are both signed. The flat bottom one looks like his work too and Branson thinks it is.
George Barton: The flat bottom looks a bit pristine for dads baskets. His all looked a little rough and utilitarian. I would guess his brother Ted made it
Ray Barton: I was thinking Uncle Ted might have made it. He knew Mrs. Gaylor well too
Angela GreearY'all find the coolest stuff
Toni Rhinehart: We have also bought some of his baskets at local estate sales- a great day and great find for sure!!
Howard Smith: was Margaret Branson, Branson Gaylor's wife?
Terrell Shaw: Howard Smith yes. Branson was there for the estate sale. He lives at Brookdale now. Margaret died last July at 91.
Howard Smith: Terrell Shaw wow.. I had so many good times with him at UGA and on trips when he was the Rome City Clerk.
Anita Stewart: Jason treasures the one Wint gave him when he mentored Jason for Confirmation.
Terrell Shaw: Here's an old blog post about Wint Barton.

George Barton: this is a flat bottom basket that Wint Barton did weave.

Duanne Walton: Have known of the late Mr. Barton for many years and seen him make his baskets. I really enjoyed reading the blog.

Quinn Scott Smith: I'm so sorry to hear about Margret. I met them back in 200-2002ish at Chapel Hill. My son was age 10 and went through confirmation when we attended there. I would've loved to have known about their estate sale and to say Hi to Branson. I'm sure he doesn't remember me but he and Margret really were SUCH a blessing to me. I'll try to go see him at Brookdale. I have a friend who is a supervisor there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment