Friday, October 02, 2020

Best Personal Wishes to Our President, But...



I join Joe Biden and the whole nation in wishing the president and his wife a speedy and uneventful recovery from the coronavirus. It is, as the president told Bob Woodward many months ago, "deadly stuff." Barron, Tiffany, Eric, Ivanka, and Don Jr. are all facing uncertainty and fear for their father. I've been there in the case of my own father. And despite an extremely fortunate life of mostly excellent health, I have even had a few moments of fear for my own life.  So though I may chuckle with everyone else at some of the black humor that will no doubt occur on Colbert and the Daily Show and Facebook during his illness, I sincerely wish the president a return to good health.

Now the “but” that you knew was coming, and that my conscience, in light of the last four years of chaos, demands:

However much we empathize with Mr. Trump’s personal struggle with the disease, we cannot forget that it was his failed leadership that has resulted in the greatest nation in the world, despite…

  • early warning, 
  • great medical resources, 
  • great universities, 
  • great pharmaceutical laboratories, 
  • a worldwide network of health professionals and researchers, 
  • the best central health agency (CDC) in the world 
…could end up with 20% of the worldwide deaths despite only 4% of the world's population --- FIVE times the deaths that would be expected with just an average national response.

We cannot have another four years of such failure domestically, internationally, spiritually. The nation is being torn asunder. Just look at the tantrum thrown at the "debate" this week. We need a uniter. While I wish healing for the president and his wife and for my friends and all others who are battling this terrible disease, and comfort for some near to me and all others grieving horrible losses from the disease, I also wish healing and comfort for our great republic. Joe Biden is our best shot at some degree of healing in the American body politic.

And I pray that the president will now realize the harm caused by his (admitted) downplaying of the seriousness of the disease from last January all the way through his post-debate public appearances this week. 

I pray for a full and speedy recovery for Mr. Trump and I pray that the American people will overwhelmingly retire him during the 31 days of voting that remain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment