Saturday, November 12, 2022

I am so happy! But...

I am so happy that the "conventional wisdom" turned out so wrong on Tuesday. Arizona's Sen. Kelly has given those who favor republican (small-r) government 49 votes in the Senate at least. If trends continue in Nevada as they have -- her opponent's lead down to less than a thousand votes and many thousands of votes yet to be reported out of the two largest counties of Nevada -- Sen. Cortez Masto will provide that 50th vote and we will continue to have a Democratic Senate. And, if that happens, here in Georgia we have an opportunity on December 6 to give pro-democracy Americans 51 votes in the Senate for the next two years. AND there is still, despite radical Gerrymandering that added FIVE Republican seats in Florida, a very slight chance that we could keep the House (but who am I kidding, that's a pipe dream). 

But that happiness is tempered by the gut-wrenching sadness of:
- my neighbors in Northwest Georgia overwhelmingly supporting an out-and-out "America Firster". I do not exaggerate. Despite knowing that she has been suspected of sympathizing with the fascists who stormed our capitol in January of 2021, she proudly and unabashedly embraces the slogan of those Americans who actively colluded with the Nazis in the thirties and forties. By the way, anyone who believes it is putting America first to support the likes of Putin and the guy at Maralago... well.

 

- the people of Uvalde Texas, despite the massacre of 19 children at their school, voting for the Greg Abbott who refuses to abide even mild gun safety measures.


- the people of Georgia electing several blatant election deniers and even folks who took part in the fake elector scheme to overthrow the 2020 election.

Burt Jones, our lieutenant-governor-elect was part of the fake elector scheme. 
Click the picture to read more.

And, of course, there were many other mistakes by the people. 

You will notice that while I will continue to work to perfect our union and root out anti-republican elements like Gerrymandering, the Electoral College, voter suppression laws, etc., I will accept the election results and do that work peacefully and legally. I will not storm the capitol, I will not try to overthrow any of the elections my side lost, and should any folks on "my side" of these issues decide to take such illegal actions I will not continue to support them or excuse them. I would expect our justice department to prosecute them with equal vigor to the prosecutions of the criminal at Maralago.


No comments:

Post a Comment