Sunday, November 13, 2022

Old Leaves: Gone Dancing

It's been a year since we lost Mildred. The world is poorer for her absence. Hrere's what I wrote after her memorial service in Helen...

-------------------------------

Today family and friends of Mildred White Greear gathered at the Nacoochee Presbyterian Church to celebrate her life. It was a beautiful service and how good it was to be with those folks for a little and reminisce about a fascinating woman and her influence on all of our lives. Truly Mildred dances in our memories and will always. There was a display of photos of Mildred through the years. I took a few pictures of pictures to share with my daughters, who also loved Mildred but could not be there today. I'll bet there are other friends who would like to see these.
















Gone Dancing

Hey, 

watch out

when I dance.


When I dance

from the inside

my dance will begin

with an earth-on-axis whirling

everything centered

spinning like mad.


At first I may look like a kite

before my arms become blurred

and disappear out there

as I dance right through fingers

right through tight skin everywhere.


Up, up on toes, I will be taller

than I have ever been;

everything gone north and south.


Let me tell you,

it will be good

reaching that high

after touching so low.


You may look out and say

there's a whirlwind out yonder!


When already it was likely me

blowing your hat off

as I danced right by you.


Right by you!

and that's no whirlwind out yonder

kiddos, that's me,

your mama

gone dancing.


- Mildred White Greear


No comments:

Post a Comment