Tuesday, November 08, 2022

Last Minute Canvassing

 


Well I spent most of my Election Day canvassing those Democratic voters who had not yet voted as of yesterday. 
At one house, about 2:30 this afternoon, I found two twenty-something brothers who were registered voters but had no transportation today. I offered to just drive them over right then. While they voted, I waited at the side of the precinct room where I was directed by the poll workers. 
Sheila had done some poll watching during early vote and mentioned how much she enjoyed watching faces as people fed their ballots to the scanner. The poll worker at the scanner would tell them to watch for the counter to advance by one when the scan was complete and how almost universally the voters would smile as they realized their vote had been scanned. 
So I tested that observation and found it still true: every voter I watched smiled when they saw that counter advance by one. I couldn't help but smile too.
But my greatest joy today was when I realized that one of those smiles was very familiar. It was a young woman I'd only met an hour or so earlier when I went by her house to urge her to vote. Now I know: she did! I'll bet my face was beaming. 

The Putin/Covid inflation may do us in. The polls don't look great. But canvassing always lifts my spirits. I know I am doing my part for what I believe in. And people, mostly, actually appreciate sincere, in person, canvassing.

Voting in the 2022 General Election in Georgia ends in less than fifteen minutes.

I'm praying the opinion polls are wrong and that the poll that actually counts will give us some victories for my grandchildren tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment