Thursday, August 17, 2006

Pop Culture Wins Again!


It has become obvious that my virtual life has taken a backseat to the real thing. So I think I'll just blatantly steal other folks' stuff for a while. (Later note: Didn't work. I couldn't stop myself from commenting.)

My friend the Rev. Frank Logue (I'll never get used to that title!) at King of Peace Episcopal Church in St. Marys GA has posted the following essential information from Reuters. Check out Frank's blog for some thoughtful writing and to confirm whether you also know this stuff.

20.5% of us know who wrote The Iliad and The Odyssey.
60% know Bart's daddy of the same name.

37% can name the planet closest to the sun.
60% know the planet that was Superman's first home.

42% can name the three branches of our governmenrt.
74% can name the Three Stooges.

11% can name the Supreme Court Justice confirmed in January 2006.
23% can name the most recent "American Idol".

--------------
Now, what I'd like to know, out here on my limb, is:
What percentage of Americans still "know" there were major WMD in Iraq in 2003?
How many "know" Saddam was associated with Al Qaeda?
How many "know" Al Gore claimed to have "invented the internet"?
How many "know" Democrats voted "for the Iraq war" or "beleived there was WMD" and therefore have no right to oppose Bush's preemptive war.?
I suspect if you can come up with the answers to those questions they will match closely Bush's current approval numbers.

Well, I just can't help myself --I couldn't keep from thinking of the many Americans who not only don't know important information, but who make matters worse by "knowing " a lot of misinformation.

No comments:

Post a Comment