Monday, April 07, 2008

A Spring Walk...


Spring has advanced several stages in the last few days. I took the camera on our constitutional along the Riverwalk this evening.



Samaras are everywhere. We called them helicopters when I was a kid. They are the winged seeds of maples.



These samaras are on a silver maple overhanging the river.



"Lovliest of trees, the cherry now, is hung with bloom along the bough..." Housman wasn't far off. Some of the black cherries along the river are already past peak bloom.



Everywhere you look are tassels of some sort. I'm not sure which tree these backlit strands are decorating. Later note: This is Boxelder (Acer negundo) the only maple I know that has compound leaves.



Another clump of samaras on a silver maple tree.



Another I should know, but don't. Later note: This is also Boxelder (Acer negundo).



This tulip tree (Liriodendron tulipifera) is putting out perfect miniatures of the adult leaves.




I'm 'sposed to know this one and the next. Later note: Above is Bladdernut (Staphylea trifolia). Below is Carolina Silverbell (Halesia tetraptera).



I'll look 'em up and get back to you. Later note: Thanks to Richard Ware for helping me ID these guys.



The new leaves of Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) add color to our spring walk.





As the sun goes down I point the camera up at the undersides of American Dogwood (Cornus florida).



The fading light makes an interesting backlighting for this single dogwood bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment