Sunday, August 10, 2008

PTSW : For my returning



I heard this on NPR's In Character recently. (Thanks for the tip, Tricia!) It is a love poem written for his wife by E. B. White. White knew spiders. After all, he created one of the most famous arachnids of all, and one of my favorite characters in literature, Charlotte A. Cavatica.

Natural History
The spider, dropping down from twig,
Unfolds a plan of her devising,

A thin premeditated rig

To use in rising.


And all that journey down through space,

In cool descent and loyal hearted,
She spins a ladder to the place

From where she started.


Thus I, gone forth as spiders do

In spider's web a truth discerning,

Attach one silken thread to you

For my returning.
-E.B. White
Y0u can hear an interesting discussion of White and his famous spider.

No comments:

Post a Comment