Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Little River Canyon & Desoto Falls


Looking out over the basin below Desoto Falls.

Climbing the trail back from the overlook at Desoto Falls.

Between the dam at Desoto Falls and the main falls. Desoto falls is a part of an Alabama State Park. There are many private cabins all around it.
Nora Matthews: I
 love your hair color bran! its really really pretty!


Watching the young folk swim above the dam at Desoto Falls.

Peering over the dam at Desoto Falls. Each May we bring 140 fourth-graders to Nature's Classroom for a two night/three day experience with nature just a couple of miles downstream from Desoto falls.



Widow Skimmer (Male) 
Libellula luctuosa


Swimming above Desoto Falls dam

Swimming above Desoto Falls dam.


Desoto Falls dam.

Swimming above Desoto Falls dam.

Swimming above Desoto Falls dam.


Swimming above Desoto Falls dam.

June Bug, actually a beetle, (Cotinus nitida?) on Common Buttonbush, Cephalanthus occidentalis. At Desoto Falls.

Silver-spotted Skipper, Epargyreus clarus, on Common Buttonbush, Cephalanthus occidentalis, at Desoto Falls.


Anybody know this fellow? He was on the rocks around Desoto Falls.


Brian risking his life and my sanity at Little River Falls, right at the head of Little River Canyon. Joan take highway 20 (Shorter Ave) out of Rome. It becomes Alabama 9. Turn right onto Alabama 35. It will climb Lookout Mtn. The parking area for Little River Falls in the LR National Preserve is on the east side of the bridge across Little River. The walk to the overlook is paved and easy.


Ol' Dad was there too.


To get to the swimming hole at the bottom you must be in good shape, limber, sure-footed, or crazy like me. There are no signs to the bottom -- the National Park Service does not want the responsibility for guiding folks to their death.


Brannon exhibiting patience as her old man sets 'em down (the Lord had to take over picking 'em up, Jim!) on the natural rock "path" to the falls.



Lillian seemed undeterred by the arduous hike.



They got their looks from me... their Mom still has hers.


The abominable Canyon Man lurks in the greenery of the canyon floor.



My baby.


What is this Wild Azalea doing blooming in July?


Alan seems like a fine young man... but walking on water? I think not!


Alan and Brannon take a natural shower in the warm Little River Falls, while Brian/Gandalf challeges the Canyon Balrog...



... and falls into the abyss...


FLY YOU FOOLS!!!!!


aaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

aaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

SSPPPPPLLLLUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSHHHHHHHH!


Wax on, wax off...
Now, the Crane Kick!


Cute little fearless girl flings herself and her float ring into the abyss...


... while Dad watches from the broken bridge...


...down...


...into the water!!

Meanwhile Sheila and I sit on the rocks gulping ibuprophen and contemplating how the rescue helicopter might reach us.



Under Little River Falls


Under Little River Falls


Lady Fern?


At Hawks' Glide overlook



At Lynn Overlook. 
Congress made 14,000 acres of the Little River Canyon into part of the National Park System in 1992. Other parts of the 200 square mile Little River watershed atop Lookout Mountain include state parks, dozens of private summer camps, a private winter ski slope, private resorts, cabins, and lodges. 
Near this spot in the early sixties I and my Scout buddies carried the heaviest "portable" camp kitchen in history to the bottom of the canyon and back out again.


Still Life - Little River Falls 
by Lillian Shaw



YOU... SHALL... NOT... PASS!!!!!!!

Comments
David Pope
LOL...you go Gandalf 

Brannon Shaw
Alan wants his credit as artistic director...

Terrell Shaw
Done

-----------------

Joan Shaw Turrentine
Oh, wow! What fun! I need directions.

Linda Floyd Blackwell
Those pictures were awesome... Makes me want to go.

Jane Baird Lathem
These are great pictures Terry. What a beautiful spot! Your daughters are so lovely.....as if I need to tell you that!

Christie Hufstedler Boyd
Oh Terrell, what a blast from my past. My brothers taught me to swim at DeSota Falls! They would throw me in and let me think they were going to let me drown. They wouldn't have of course, but I learned pretty fast. My mom was a nurse and we stayed at one of my many cousins’ cabins across the river from the parking lot. You can't see the cabin but you can see the boat house.

Novella Trotter
Reallly enjoy the pictures. They are great. I have never been to Little River Canyon. I'm really enjoying all my facebook friends pictures. Keep them coming.

Susan Cherones
<------Homesick!

No comments:

Post a Comment