Monday, August 24, 2009

Gleaning Facebook: Have I got a deal for you...

Here's an opportunity to help some fourth-graders have the experience of their lives. For the last ten years we have taken fourth-graders from our school on a three-day, two-night "camping" experience. It's usually been on Lookout Mountain, and next May we will go to Nature's Classroom at Mentone Al for the fifth time. We have a number of deserving children who have few resources and so we do a fundraiser to help with scholarships. That's where you come in.

For only a ten dollar donation you can help a kid AND get some great discounts on good food and drink and other goodies about Rome. I get much more than my donation out of the two cards I buy every year.

Like pizza? There are good coupons for Papa John's, Pizza Hut, Domino's, Pasquales. 

Fast food? Long John's, Wendy's, Mrs. Winner's, Burger King, Arby's, Checkers, Taco Bell.

Sheila and I make our money back just with the buck off Panera's "You Pick Two" every year.

Two oil changes and you've saved the price of the card at Xpress Lube right down the street from my house (Turner-McCall at Ave A)

Let me know folks!

And while you are at it go eat all you want at CiCi's tomorrow evening and help our school buy some needed software. Just mention Armuchee Elementary at the cash register. (Tues. the 25th)

image
Comments:

Amy Leanne Cochran
I wanted to go on that trip so bad 

I got kicked off like a few days before for "bad behavior" i dont even remember what i did but i am pretty sure it was something small and dumb. I wish I could've gone with yall that year 


Darrell Fedchak
Having been a teacher with Nature's Classroom for the past three seasons that Armuchee Elementary has been going, I can honestly tell you that the kids get a lot out of the experience. Each time I had an Armuchee group (and this happened with other schools as well!) I've had kids in my group come up to me at the end of the week and tell me how much fun they had. Not only that, they very often are able to tell me about their favorite aspects of the camp, and prove that they learned something about nature, and themselves, in the process! This is an excellent opportunity, please, please help them out!

Terrell Shaw
Thanks all. Amy, you little rascal! I certainly wish you could have gone with us. We went to the very rustic Lookout Mountain Camp that year. I love LMC but we had complaints about insects in the shower and such. That may be why we headed to what I like to call the "Pocket Hilton" (Misty Mountain Camp) the next year.
My good FB frends Susan and Ellen (and later Joy) headed up the trip for us for the first six years. When they decided to move on to other pursuits we headed up to Nature's Classroom where my FB friends Adam, Paul, Sarah, and Davy Jones (OK, Darrell!) have watched out for us. It is such a joy to watch these 9 and 10-year-olds challenge themselves in all sorts of ways and to see the growth in self-confidence and teamwork that many of them exhibit.
Several of my FB friends have been campers or chaperones.

You can get the cards for $10 pre-paid each from me or any fourth-grade student or teacher. Make checks payable to AES (Armuchee Elementary School).

Betty Smith Franklin
The Pocket Hilton! That does everything at once ( I have a great insects in the shower story from Costa Rica)

No comments:

Post a Comment