Tuesday, September 15, 2009

What I am Doing: Out On A Limb -- I Think This Should Be A Lot Of Fun

I think this should be a lot of fun. After too much dithering, I decided to seek election to the Kettering School Board. The board has five members and each serve a four year term. Every other year there is a school board election and, this year, three seats are open. The three incumbents of these board positions are seeking reelection and, I, and another candidate, a person with an unlikely name, James Brown, are the other candidates. At age 61.9 I am the youngest of the lot.




I’ve lived in Kettering now for almost 35 years. That fact seems impossible. And, I’m thinking, I should be a better citizen -- I have a lot to contribute to public education. If September 11 was a wake up call, shouldn’t we all be awake by now?

I need a lot of practice -- how to I summarize in some convincing way my thinking about this election -- so I asked my local Democratic Club (I’m the vice president) to practice in front of them. I had one member who agreed to, whenever in her estimation it was deserved, to hold up an “Applause Sign.”

I think a campaign as a Reality Show might be a great idea. I would go door to door in a community and inquire if anyone in the house might be interested in being part of a community movie. In the first movie, I could announce my candidacy as I wipe snowflakes from my brow and take tough questions from the press. I’ll keep you posted.

I’m thinking of making a video in my dahlia garden in the style of "My Dinner With Andre," sort of weaving together my views of everything while looking at the ineffable.

I’m still coming to Rome -- maybe shortly after the election. Maybe we can make a movie. I just bought the new mac system -- snow leopard -- $180 seemed a little steep, but it looks like it has a lot of great stuff. I made this video with the new system -- but didn’t take the time to learn how to use the feature that is suppose to stop the shaking. The new I-Movie has a lot a new features. I’m going to redo this you-tube tape and stop that camera shaking and also use some footage from a second camera that was also filming. I also want to conclude the tape with the same words with which the tape started.

No comments:

Post a Comment