Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sunday Concert: For Gordon

Gordon Norton from Lillian W. Shaw's Wilkerson Family album

I first posted this song two years ago. Today I repost it in memory of Gordon Norton, who loved good church music and whose funeral I will attend today. Gordon was my Dad's first cousin and spent a part of his childhood living as a brother to the Shaw boys with my grandparents in Milstead, Georgia. Gordon had a nice tenor voice and often sang solos at church and in weddings and funerals. He fit in well with his boistrous cousins -- Charles (my Daddy), James, Grady, Bill, and Jack, as well as his "real" brother, Reubin. How even my tough grandmother (Mama Shaw) survived all those jokers I can't imagine. But what a lot of joy, hilarity, and love congregated when they did. Only Grady and Reubin are left.

Take a look at the pics while you listen to the music.

Gordon and Reubin Norton from Lillian W. Shaw's Wilkerson Family album

Lewis, Ruby, Gordon, and Reubin Norton from Lillian W. Shaw's Wilkerson Family album

-----
Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
from
A Thanksgiving of American Hymns
Brigham Young University
Combined Choirs and Orchestra

Although Joseph Smith was crazy as a bessie bug his followers can make music. Sheila and I bought the CD and video of this wonderful concert years ago. It played on public TV year after year. I love all of the arrangements. We especially enjoy this one and "How Can I Keep From Singing".


No comments:

Post a Comment