Thursday, May 26, 2011

Gleaning Facebook: Exhausted Hummingbird

This fellow somehow managed to get into our classroom. I used a large butterfly net to finally trap him. He was so exhausted that he rested in my hand for awhile before he revived enough to fly away as we watched him in our classroom courtyard.


Archilochus colubris, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, male Comments:

  • Terrell Shaw
    Seems like hummngbirds get into classrooms once or twice a year up our way. They. are. hard. to. catch. Fast reflexes - unless they are clobbered by the net frame!

    Jann Heaton Skeen
    One of my fave birds. 
  • pastedGraphic.png

    Katie S. Kimbrough
    is that real? pretty though!

    Amy Brigham
    Wow, that's awesome! 
  • pastedGraphic.png

    Tersi Bendiburg
    Awww! Terrell, in 1996 we took a family trip to Costa Rica and Panama. In Costa Rica, for one night, we stayed in a small town near one of the Volcanoes. The cabins we stayed in were surrounded by lillies. I woke up, before the guys, and went to the porch to sit on the rocker and enjoy the morning. No sooner did I open the door that I gasped. Hovering over the lilies were so many humming birds feeding that I couldn't count them! I back into the room slowly to wake the guys up. We all enjoyed the beautiful show! I'll never forget it! One of those lovely things you tuck away to think about during quiet times. : )

  • Lillian Shaw
    You named a male hummingbird Ruby?

    Tersi Bendiburg
    That's it's name. Ruby Throated Hummingbird. : )

    Betty Smith Franklin
    Can warm it in your hands and hen give it a bit of sugar water and it will be on its way.

    Tony Pope
    Hey, I caught one of these one time too! Well, caught and "trapped" in the grill of my 4Runner...same difference! It wasn't alive...! Don't know how long it had been there.

No comments:

Post a Comment