Saturday, November 23, 2013

Gleaning Facebook: Retirement?

Hello Terrell! Is'nt retirement nice?? The only bad thing is that it takes wonderful teachers like you out of the classroom!!! I have enjoyed your posts even though we differ in opinion sometimes. But, it would be a boring world if everyone was like me! However, what really counts is our basic love for one another. I'm so glad you are my friend!

 Terrell Shaw

Thanks, Terry. I agonized over retirement the last three years. Was not sure I wanted it at all. That last few months, especially, was so strange -- after every lesson the automatic "How will I make this better next year?" then, "Oh, yeah, no next year." It was Twain, I think, who said no one ever does anything for the last time without a twinge of regret.
Then I stumbled into the perfect retirement job for me. Could not have been better timing.

Terry Lewis
What are you doing?

Terrell Shaw
Working part-time at Arrowhead Environmental Education Center telling stories, leading nature walks, showing off the animals to K-5 (mostly) and, of course, cleaning up snake and alligator poo.

Terry Lewis
Sounds like a great job if you could call it that. lol The Center is fortunate to have you!!

Terrell Shaw
I ahve all the stuff I love about teaching -- kids, nature, stories -- none of the rotten stuff -- hovering-administrators, paper grading, other paperwork, etc.

Terrell Shaw
Yeah. With Sheila still working this house is lonesome territory. I prefer my "work" days to my "at home" days, truly.

Terrell Shaw
Bring a line and pole and a grandkid or two, and come out to see us one day.

Terry Lewis
Thanks Terrell, I will do that! But right now I'm laid-up from hernia surgery Thursday. My wife's honey-do lists are killing me! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment