Monday, November 11, 2013

Gleaning Facebook: Veterans Day 2013

On this Veterans Day I am thankful for the men and women who have risked all to establish, secure, and maintain the “republic for which it stands” since 1775. Some of them have been my close friends or cousins or other relatives..

I especially want to remember these close relatives who fought for our country:
Charles Shaw - USMC (my father)
James C. Matthews, US Army (my father-in-law)
James Shaw, US Army (my uncle)
Grady Shaw, US Air Force (my uncle)
Bill Shaw, US Navy (my uncle)
Jack Baird, US Air Force (my uncle)
Tom Baird, US Army, (my uncle)
Charles Roszel, US Navy (my brother-in-law)
All these are gone from us now.
Still with us are:
Jimmy Matthews, US Navy (my brother-in-law)
...and my nephew, Josh Hearn, is still on active duty with the US Army.
These great guys served during perilous times, leaving their loved ones for months and years at a time, never knowing whether they would return, to fight in lands far away, no doubt lonely and frightened, but getting up every day and doing what they thought was right, despite all that.

Daddy (Cpl. Charles Columbus Shaw) in the South Pacific c. 1944
Cpl. Charles Columbus Shaw home on leave with Ruth Baird Shaw c. 1944


John Thomas Baird with his sister Mary in Porterdale, GA c. 1944.

Grady Columbus Shaw, Jr. 





No comments:

Post a Comment