Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Gleaning Facebook: Election Day & Thanks

Thankfulness #4
On this election day, I am thankful for the right to vote -- the right that cements all the others. When I think of all the blood, all the energy, all the negotiations, compromises, political battles, all the sacrifices of our forebears, I can never skip a chance to vote my conscience. If you have not yet voted, get up now and get to your polling place. My children's futures depend in part on you getting off your tail and voting your conscience. Do it now.
And my heart cannot stop there.
The schools I love need a governor who believes in public education. Vote for Jason Carter.
The United States Congress needs members who will debate with principled but open minds. You have a stark choice between promised obstruction and promised bipartisanship. Vote bipartisanship. Vote for Michelle Nunn.
-------------------

Polls close at 7 p.m. As long as you are in line by 7 p.m., you are guaranteed your right to vote. Do not let anything or anyone block your right to vote. Stay in line.


-------------------
From John Lewis's Facebook page:
We must never forget the blood that was shed by thousands so that we could vote without threat or fear today.

-----------------

From Bil Lepp's Facebook page:
Don't be that guy (or gal) Mr. Heilman, my 9th grade history teacher, talked about. I don't remember exactly how the chart worked, but because you didn't vote, Hitler won. Also, don't vote for Hitler. It was a complicated lesson.

------------------



I do not know how the races will come out. I'll be gloriously surprised if we manage to hold the Senate. We must defend territory that is pretty strongly "red". And if Michelle Nunn or Jason Carter should manage to prevail in Georgia it would be huge news. Unlikely, but that it is even discussed as a reasonable possibility is great news for the future. These two leaders have demonstrated great ability, good political judgment, strong thinking. We will hear from each of them again come what may.

I am very proud to have supported these two. I voted for them with great joy and optimism.

No comments:

Post a Comment