Sunday, March 05, 2023

All Day at Armuchee Elementary

Armuchee Elementary had a special day of teacher meetings on Friday and asked me to do four 40 minute performances -- one for each of their four grades. Gym performances for large groups are definitely not my favorites, but the ARS kids were well-behaved and attentive and the staff were enthusiastic and helpful.

I was especially pleased to have the help of our newest Bonner program intern from Berry College, Lucy Hicks, as my assistant for the day. 

Unsure of what exactly to expect I took a large assortment of mounts, furs, and several live animals and set up a display on three folding tables. In the end I used the same story for the 4th, 5th, and 6th grade classes -- "Yellowtail" and showed off the corn snake to all three groups. For the third graders I used a baby alligator and told my "Trouble" story. 

My only disappointment of the day was that I did not get to see Emily Turrentine, one of my newest nieces-in-law who teaches there or Vivian Davis, my friend and fellow Arrowhead naturalist who also teaches there. they were in meetings while I was presenting.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment