Monday, October 02, 2023

The Money Pit is Yawning Again

Our beloved old Money Pit is being fed major portions of our children's inheritance again, beginning this morning. We hope to have the front porch repairs and painting done, thanks to Will Pinson and his crew, in time to look nice for the wedding festivities. And a start will be made on the back porches as well we hope. And a roofing issue will be fixed. Then we have a long list of more involved stuff. It is never-ending. It all began a little past eight this morning with good wash with water and a little Clorox.



They kindly covered my flowers; I hope they can survive this.


I take good citizenship seriously and so carefully choose my candidates and support them all I can... even by plastering their campaign signs on my yard. This year I am pleased to support the three you see here: Incumbents Bonny Askew and Sundai Stevenson and newcomer and our friend Charles Love. I also support Mark Cochran and Bill Collins -- though I don't have their signs yet. This is an off-off-year election. An astonishingly few votes will make the difference between the six who are elected and the three who are not. Please vote, however you vote. I believe these five candidates will think of our current needs and they will also always keep in mind our posterity as they make decisions representing us as our public servants.




We even have a new temporary structure out back. It's the first time since 1951 that I have lived in a dwelling with an outhouse. We tol' 'em they were welcome to use the indoor facilities, but I s'pose porta-potties are standard accoutrements of homesite projects these days.

------------
1:00 pm

Removing the floor of the porch reveals that the $#*@%# builders who "restored" our house in 1999-2001 cut corners which contributed to the problems that necessitated this redo: too-long joists with little or no bracing. Grrrr. These folks say it will be done right this time.






No comments:

Post a Comment