Sunday, November 13, 2016

Gleaning Facebook: Got Some Comments On This One!


Our President-elect

He mocks a physically damaged man, but our future president is the pitiful one. My heart is broken. I am ashamed of every American who endorsed this, truly, damaged man.

The above is what I posted on Facebook, later editing it slightly.

It elicited a barrage of thought-provoking comments.

---------

[I deleted some duplicated photos]

Melissa Pyle-Hamilton
Me, too. Some will eventually see his true colors. Sadly, some will never and will continue to defend his every move even if it is wrong, illegal, immoral, unethical, or cruel.

Terrell Shaw
Yes it was.

Melissa Pyle-Hamilton
Yes, it was. We saw it when it happened and continued to see replays of it. Thank God I was raised better to never make fun of someone with a disability. Doing so has a way of coming back to the offender. How would Trump feel if he had a Grandchild with a mental or physical disability? What he did was cruel, disrespectful, and inexcusable.

Terrell Shaw
and typical

Suanne Bierman Laqueur
Melissa Pyle-Hamilton I can answer that: he'd feel nothing. His own nephew, his brother's child, suffered from cerebral palsy. During a squabble over their father's will, Trump cut off his brother's healthcare coverage.

Melissa Pyle-Hamilton
Suanne - that is terrible, beyond words. He obviously is devoid of any conscience or empathy. His day will come. As my Mom always said when others did wrong...." That may do to live by, but it surely won't do to die by".

Suanne Bierman Laqueur
He has no shame chromosome.

Melissa Pyle-Hamilton
Apparently not. He is a scary man.

Terrell Shaw
A truly damaged human being.

Melissa Pyle-Hamilton
Making fun of anyone is not right, disabled or not. It is called having good manners and respect for others.

Paula Graves
If I'd not heard him make fun/belittle/insult dozens of other people, I might have given pause to this. I'm ashamed that he's our president.

Cristie Smith
I saw him doing this the very first time it was aired. My heart literally skipped. My sister has cerebral palsy, and has had to endure a lifetime of this crap. In fact the valedictorian of her high school was imitating her limp at school when the teacher wasn't looking. When she reported it, the teacher said that couldn't possibly be true. It certainly was, and anyone who has seen this clip, seen the disabled gentleman that he mocked, and does not believe he was making fun of him is obviously watching a different television than I am. My sister today, a proud Democrat, is also the Director of Students with Disabilities at a very large university.

Tracy Cordle Baker
It would be awesome if everyone said I hope he proves me wrong and is one of the best presidents this country ever had. The division of politics is causing this country to eat itself alive and implode from the inside out. 1/2 feel this way about Trump, 1/2 felt that way about Hillary but thank God we live in a country where we get to choose. I am not ashamed of anyone's right to do so.

Terrell Shaw
Of course we have the right to choose Tracy. But we must be vigilant. A psychologically damaged man is president elect. We are in for terrifying days. I hope for his redemption, but I am not so naive as to expect it. I hope for the best, but I will watch this evil like a hawk till redemption occurs.

Tracy Cordle Baker
Not sure what redemption is.. But I must say that it makes me sad that someone who I think taught me what it meant to be a free thinker is now ashamed of me because I feel differently than them. I hate name calling from both sides. I have respect for everyone's opinion.

Claudia Kennedy
Redemption means a complete turnaround. It means for this man a repudiation of the disrespect for women,( "They'll let you do it if you're a star. You can do anything.....") It means apologizing to John McCain, the reporter with disabilities, the women who have been manhandled, the Kahn family, I don't need to go on, but I could. The video clips speak for themselves. This is not hearsay, it's there in his own words. Sometimes we can't straddle the fence and say, "I respect everyone's opinion." Sometimes we have to say, "This is categorically wrong. Free thinking comes with owning your actions and thoughts.

Tracy Cordle Baker
I could say 100 things I hate about Hillary, you can say 100 things you hate about Trump. Both sides are our opinions. We choose when we vote. No one should be called a name based on how they vote. I unfollowed my mom's feed because she called Hillary voters names. I am about to do the same here and it breaks my heart because Mr Shaw taught me more than most more than 30 years ago. And either way name calling slows democracy. If we don't find a middle we will be looking at the end so yes I respect your opinion but I won't call you names.

Claudia Kennedy
I don't see any name calling here. Not in what I said, not in what Terrell said. Unfriend him if you so choose. It will be your loss.

Tracy Cordle Baker
The original post says "I am ashamed of anyone that voted for him"

Terrell Shaw
Yes, I wish I had used the word "disappointed" instead of "ashamed" simply to avoid some of this discussion. Still, for those who are able, ethical folks, I am (to be brutally honest) profoundly disappointed that they either, IMO, did not do their homework or else voted in anger over issues like abortion and gay marriage, while ignoring the bigotry, authoritarianism, etc of an unstable DJT.
70 % of the voters acc to the polls agree that Trump is unfit. A large enough minority of them voted for him anyway to give him an electoral vote win. It's meaningless speculation, of course, but I suspect that enough in WI, PA, and MI would change their protest votes, if they had known DJT might actually win, to add an electorl vote victory to Hillary's significant popular vote victory (600,000 now likely to be over a million by the time all the votes are in.)

Tracy Cordle Baker
Thank you, I admit to not being an extremely political person. I have distrust on both sides. I am an independent voter. I just wish we could get on with the business of raising good hardworking families again. I do fault our generation with where things are now because children are being raised to get everything they want and trophies for participation so they never feel bad. Guess what life isn't always fair and sometimes you don't always get what you want. Peaceful protest is a right, destruction, looting, acting a fool is not. I don't mean it politically. I don't care if you are white, black, red, blue or green. There are values that should be taught on every side like respect, treating others as you would want to be treated, and teaching your kids to work for what they have because this country owes you nothing that you don't work for. Thanks for replying. I can respect you as one of my favorite teachers while disagreeing on the box we checked because we each have that right.

Terrell Shaw
I love you, Tracy. At the same time I started teaching in 1969 I was developing my philosophy of love. I long ago promised myself that I would love unconditionally. Love is a decision. That goes for my wife, my children, my students. I know you are a good person. I believe you are tragically wrong about Trump. I will still love you.

Claudia Kennedy
We're all a work in progress. I voted for Nixon two times! I liked his foreign policy.... I was to young to know character plays more of a part than policy in what makes a great president.

Laurie Craw
Tracy Cordle Baker I really don't know any of the parents you are talking about in my generation (Boomers). Not any slackers in the whole lot from where I sit.

Tommy Elaine Gerrin
I am in awe.

CeCe Baker
Those that voted for him are just as pathetic as he is.

Chris Goodwin
Ignorant statements like this is and Terrell Shaw saying he's ashamed of half of the people because they voted for Trump is what causes division in our country. its ok to be concerned, i was concerned eight years ago. its ok to wonder why we voted this way. Like policy, maybe...or the future of the SCJ...or the hope with a straight party government that we'll finally adress some things and fix the messed up Health care system. The truth is that none of that matters, its easier to throw stones than to educate yourself on the reasoning someone thinks different than you. Its ok not to like Trump, its not ok to condemn and judge who voted for him. poor loser if u ask me. that's also what the pins on the collar signify: Irish for pouting because u didnt win. smh

Kris Wilder
Chris Goodwin, here I go again, agreeing with you. No, I didn't vote for Trump, but I agree with what Chris said. You cannot make sweeping statements like half or all of the people that voted for him are bad. I disagree with them about their choice, mightily, oh yes. However, I cannot say they are all pathetic. I know some truly wonderful people who voted for him, believed in him. I do hope he doesn't let them down, let the country down. I have to believe in the good of people and the good of our nation. We will make it through this if we realize we have to work together. If we stop letting disagreements divide us to the point of fighting and name calling. We have to look back at what started us and what we ideally should be. We have to stop letting the vocal minority who fight with ugly words win. Am I a little scared? Oh, yes. I am a woman and a reporter. I am an endangered species, according to some people. But I can't and won't give up. I think we the people are better than that.

Terrell Shaw
As I have said somewhere above, I am sorry I used the word "ashamed". "Disappointed" would be better. There was no doubt of who Trump is. There is no excuse for voting for him. I understand some good people including some I love believe so fervently that abortion is murder, that gay marriage is an abomination, etc that they believed a vote for an evil, damaged man was justified. They are tragically wrong.

Tracy Cordle Baker
I see Hillary as an evil, corrupt, lying, woman. Neither is perfect but in my humble opinion I am much more offended by Hillary's actions than Trumps words. But I would not say you are wrong. I would say that is your opinion. I say the only people that are wrong are the ones who did not go to the polls and vote!

Luis Schnitzer Da Silva
Terrell Shaw don't be sorry you used the word ashamed

Sandra Aguirre-Magaña
My words exactly.

Larry Madden
I am a proud "deplorable" that thinks it is TIME to stop the divisiness and name calling. Donald J. Trump is the President Elect of our great country as we need ALL of us to show support no matter your personal feelings! It's about the survival of our Republic, the order of law and the security of our borders. Immigrants whom wish to be a part of the American Dream can apply (legally) and follow the American citizenship process as many thousands have in the past (over two hundred years)!
God bless you all and God bless America!

Terrell Shaw
You oppose divisiveness and namecalling but you support Trump. Hmmmm.

Suanne Bierman Laqueur
Yes, we should show Trump the same respect the GOP showed Obama. (Cough)

Larry Madden
Trump does not have and has never had ORGANIZED protestors disrupting campagns, marching in the streets of major metropolitan areas and destroying personal property before AND after the legal election. As I said...it is TIME to STOP the name calling and devisive actions and for ALL Americans to come together in PEACE. Dr Martin Luther King is probably hav I ng a fit in his heavenly home to see all of the violence pepetrated in the name of personal sefishness. He preached change through peace and non-violence. 
A great American, he was!

Suanne Bierman Laquar




Bygones. Forgiven. They were just joking.
Terrell Shaw
Here is an example of the end of divisiveness and namecalling that Larry Madden has in mind from his latest post.



Suanne Bierman Laqueur
Isn't that adorable? 
Wait wait I got one. Hang in there. Clever, huh? See what they did there? Hang? LOLOLOLOL

Oh here's one of my favorites. It's so subtle. You have to look really closely to see the subliminal reference to Obama's African heritage. Don't worry if you don't see it right away. It took me a while too....


Luis Schnitzer Da Silva
Nope

Terrell Shaw
It's good to hear Larry has removed that image. I hope your comment was intended as some sort of joke. I assume you know that I would not lie about any friend. Despite the extreme differences, sometimes bitter differences, on politics, I appreciate that both you and Larry have a heart for the environment.

Luis Schnitzer Da Silva
Terrell Shaw I thought our first duty, as good democrats that we are, is to insure that that man only serves one term. I am just following the wise words of our Senate Majority leader. I think we need to shut down the government and cause gridlock and cut off funding and sequester everything we can. That man must be stopped .
Exact words used by the turtle man about our chosen President.

Raymond Atkins
I find it a bit of a double standard that violence was an accepted part of the Trump strategy--it was encouraged and embraced by the great man himself--but now that there have been a few isolated incidents from the other side, the Trumpies are appalled. You can't have it both ways, y'all. Isn't this in effect what you asked for?

Chris Goodwin
LOL. That's right. I remember all the rioting and looting and violence and burning when Obama was elected....🤔 Oh wait there wasn't any.

Raymond Atkins
I have no doubt that your world view is just where you want it, Chris Goodwin. Hope that works out for you.

Tracy Cordle Baker
Yea, Chris Goodwin Christian values, hard working, entrepreneur, devoted husband and father. Hope that world view works for you😜 this thread just makes me sad that Americans have such disrespect for each other over differences of opinion. Instead of saying God Bless America our prayer should be God forgive America for leaving you behind.

Raymond Atkins
Tracy Cordle Baker I have the impression that your post is aimed at me, and unfairly so. Everyone has their own world view, based upon what works for them. You do, I do, and my new friend Chris Goodwin as well. And I meant it when I said I hoped it worked out for him. As for his post, it did not address what I said in mine, but no matter.

Terrell Shaw
"Christian values, hard working, entrepreneur, devoted husband and father" do you mean this to reference Donald Trump? Serious question.

Tracy Cordle Baker
Nope Chris

Raymond Atkins
Terrell Shaw I don't think even the hard-core faithful would use that phrase when referring to our current looming problem in Washington.

Benjamin Amis
I'm really getting tired of sharing these. Protests after the 2008 election.



Benjamin Amis
If by "Christian values" we mean prosecution of religious minorities and a long history of supporting abortion rights, by "entrepreneur" we mean scammer and fraudster and by "devoted husband and father" we mean adulterer and serial monogamist (c.f., "Christian values" above), sure, that's the President-elect.
If the religious right needed another example of why they're a joke, this is it.

Claudia Kennedy
Who said, "If I lose there will be blood running in the streets?"

Suanne Bierman Laqueur
Leonard Cohen! Oh wait...sorry, wrong thread....

Luis Schnitzer Da Silva
Suanne Bierman Laqueur sa-ssy

Suanne Bierman Laqueur
I can't keep up with all this tragedy....

Beckie Gurley
Good grief, this bickering makes me sad. Honestly if Hillary Clinton had won, with the republicans still holding the house and senate we would be in the same old pile of ðŸ’© we have been in for 8 years. I think Obama could have been one of our best presidents. But I honestly think the color of his skin kept him from achieving that. Our congress treated him like a 3/5th president. I have seen racist memes about him. And go golly George if I hear he is a Muslim I'm going to blow a head gasket. 
Here is the thing, Ms. Clinton would have been treated like ðŸ’©too. Why? Because I watched interviews and heard people saying, "I jus' don't think a woman outta be prezadent". I'm just being real. Look how they treat Obama. He is one of the first presidents we've had in a long time that showed American what a family should look like. But Americans were to busy trying to find his birth certificate and figure out if he was a Muslim. Every idea he had was blocked. He was even denied the chance to fill the Supreme Court seat. 
I just wish we as Americans would quit fighting with each other. What is done is done. But one man is going to solve everything. And one woman won't either. The fighting is all bull crap. It is causing more hurt. It causes more divide. I love my country. And I want to leave my country better for my children. So I beg for people to start getting along and realizing this is hurting us more.

No comments:

Post a Comment