Monday, November 14, 2016

Gleaning Facebook: Safety Pin

 My facebook profile right now is a photo of my collar. You will note that a Safety Pin is attached to it. "What is that?" you might ask.

To me it is a simple symbol of my solidarity with anyone who might feel threatened because of their "differences" with others. It is my promise that I accept their difference without condemnation and will do all in my power to protect them from perceived danger.
In my case, I am a teacher. I am an actor. I am an environmentalist. I am a family member. I am a friend. I am a church member. I am a civic activist. I am a professional storyteller. In those roles I have made friends or have loved ones who are black, female, immigrant, gay, Muslim, Sihk, agnostic, atheist, Wiccan, Mormon, Hindu, Buddhist, transgender, deaf, physically disabled, mentally challenged, or "different" in any of many other ways. I want each of them to know I am their ally.
Something needs to be said about what the Safety Pin is not, as well.
Some on Facebook, such as an article on the Breitbart site, call it a symbol of "rejecting the election of Donald Trump as President of the United States." That is not what the Safety Pin represents. I know of no one who "rejects" the election. The relation to the election is that Mr. Trump is on record with many statements and actions and policies that make many persons in the groups above fearful.
I would welcome all persons of goodwill, including those who have supported Mr. Trump, to join this cause of reassuring all Americans that we will defend their safety.



No comments:

Post a Comment