Sunday, December 26, 2021

2021 Western Oddysey: The Days Dwindle Down 12/26

 Another virtual Sunday. Trinity's service was held in Mobley Hall and we attended virtually and attired in pajamas. Afterwards I dressed and walked across town feeling a little nostalgic that there would be only a couple of more opportunies to make this walk this trip. I listened to a favorite podcast, Thus American Life, and todays show was a rebroadcast of a show from a couple of decades ago that included David Sedaris's signature and hilarious "Santaland Diaries". If you have never read (or heard) it you should stop right now and listen -- click the elf below:



As I climbed up Apollo Drive I noticed a man and woman in the yard of a house across from the "Indian Rock" property. Being me I paused the podcast and struck up a conversation. I asked if they knew anything about the property, its petroglyphs, and how one might get permission to see them. Turns out these folks HAVE THE KEY to the gate! They were leaving, and could not take the time to show me, but suggested we knock on their neighbor's door. The neighbor ALSO has a key! Well, the neighbor wasn't home. However, y'all know me: several hours later I drove back by; talked to the neighbor's son; exchanged phone numbers; and was assured there was a good chance I can get in TOMORROW - our last full day in California.

When I got to the the grandgirls' house they were engrossed in TV so I decided to get some more walking in. I recorded a total of about 10K steps on my Apple watch before I returned and found Sheila had arrived and the kids ready to interact. 

We invented another ridiculous skit. We pretended their big green "Nugget" cushions are giant moldy slices of bread and I an enormous and monstrous creature who wants to eat children. After placing Ruth and Clem side by side on one cushion, my job was to squirt them with imaginary mayo and other condiments, rotten tomatoes, slimy lettuce, and whatever other grotesque accoutrements I can imagine. Then I fold the other (attached) green cushion atop the pretend mess, and try to gobble a squirming, giggling, gigantic sandwich. A chorus of "do it again" precedes reruns of this very strange situation comedy.



After leftover pizza for lunch there was talk of another trip to the beach, but Sheila is feeling a little puny and we headed back to Danny and Renata's so she could do another home Covid test, just in case. Sheila took the test and it was negative, but she went to bed and slept while I visited with Danny, watched football, and enjoyed Danny's tacos made with leftover tri-tip. Danny's sister Barb came by with Christmas presents for the family, inclding a nice gift for me and Sheila. Barb is the Carlin family genealogy enthusiast and she helped me tie their family into my Ancestry file.

So our next to the last full day in Vista was an unusual one and did not include a lot of time with the grandgirls, but we had a good time while we were with them and we got a chance to rest up a bit, wash some clothes ... and write this.


No comments:

Post a Comment