Tuesday, December 14, 2021

2021 Western Oddysey: Rainy Day at Gamma's 12/14

I rose earlier than I usually have on this trip and got out for long walk to Rancho Guajome Adobe and back again.  




It was very gray and blustery and wet, but not really raining till the return trip through the sports park. I toyed with sheltering there and calling Sheila to my rescue, but decided to press on. As I turned down Bobier the wind really picked up the rain and tossed it in my face. By the time I got back to Blackbird I was pretty wet but had about 10k steps on the watch.

Danny came in from the dog park with the dogs, of course, but also with a big pink box under his arm --- donuts from Danny's Donuts, an Vista institution dating to our Danny's childhood. Soon I heard my favorite word "Grandshaw" shouted in unison by two little girls and I kew they were here for the day. Quickly they were busy with water colors on the kitchen table. It didn't take them long to discover the donuts.

We played a new giggling game for a while... I pretend they are my hats by turning each in turn up onto my head and jiggling them.

Brannon took the opportunity to have some alone time, leaving us with the two little girls and a well-fed and  - momentarily - sleeping baby. I had perhaps my longest turn at keeping Susannah and she soon was crying loudly. I jostled and patted and walked and jiggled her, and she finally whimpered off to sleep for a few minutes. We got the old VHS set going for the girls in Renata's video room and they stayed glued to the old-format Pinochio for the duration.

I made them some cheese toast but they turned their noses up at it, so Sheila and I ate that. 

I had a banana/almond butter/ sourdough sandwich for lunch. Yum!

Susannah has changes so much in just these three weeks. She is brighter-eyed, more alert, and occasionally smiling. 






And I slept, untentionally for a good while on the couch.

Danny is planning burritos of some sort for supper. 




Renata's tree is a perfect cone of naked limbs reclaimed from some tree of years ago. She wraps it in greenery and trims it beautifully. You'd never guess at the tree skeleton underneath.


No comments:

Post a Comment