Saturday, January 15, 2022

54 Down, 6 To Go

Our recent automobile excursion, to California and back, took us through six of the 12 states I had never visited before...


 

 

 .. and that, of course, leaves only six states left that have not had the privilege of my presence. I'd like to fix that. 

The map colors indicate:

Blue: States I had visited before the recent trip

Green: the six states I visited for the first time between November 15, 2021 and January 3, 2022.

White: States yet to visit.


Missouri and Kansas

When they headlined our Big Fibbers Storytelling Festival in 2018 Sherry and Bobby Norfork stayed at our house a week. I doubt seriously that there are another pair of folks in the world with such a huge repertoire of stories between them. What engaging new friends and interesting houseguests they were! We talked a lot about their home state of Missouri, especially the storytelling vents and groups there. And Bobby's talked about his time as a National Park docent at the Gateway Arch. I have had my heart set on a visit there ever since. And as a Mark Twain enthusiast I like to see Hannibal. And as an old social studies teacher theres the Louis and Clark connection and the nearby (across the river in Illinois) Cahokia Mounds. And Kansas is right next door, so maybe we'll make a MO/KS trip one of these days. 

South Dakota

I have always wanted to see Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monument. While I'm at it I'd like to add the Wind Cave National Paek, Jewel Cave National Monument, and Badlands National Park. Maybe the Minuteman National Historic Site would be an interesting, if chilling, place to visit. We could combine a SD trip with an incursion into North Dakota to see at least the southern part of Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

Maine

I've always wanted to see New England in the fall, and we have my nephew Matthew's family in New Hampshire, so maybe we'll make that trip some year. I'd like to add the martitime provinces of Canada. The Anne of Green Gables book series is one of my favorites and I'd like to see the sights there abouts.

Alaska & Hawaii

We'll there's no pretending these would be our most ambitios trips, but I sure would enjoy seeing both of these. If I get to, I want plenty of time since both encompass huge distances and lots of flora, fauna, geology, and history to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment