Monday, January 31, 2022

McHenry 2022

 Today, as I drove from Cedartown to Rome, I dropped by my beloved old McHenry School. It is so sad to see this piece of Floyd County history fade away. Here are a few pictures...

At some point in recent years someone paved the entry sidewalk with bits of the "Pearly Gates" that used to greet visitors to the campus from McHenry Drive. 

The engraved stone commemorates the  classes that , I suppose, built the "Pearly Gates" in 1934-1935

I took a selfie of my nostalgic face with the former school, and the big Red Maple that is one of two that have survived of the 30 seedlings I and my students planted in 1973.

I had to check out the yard, right across the street from the school, that once belonged to McHenry's beloved dietician, the late Mrs. Clara Packer. Sure enough, there on the last day of January 2022, her early-blooming jonquils are still showing out.



No comments:

Post a Comment