Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Gleaning Facebook: Richard at Arrowhead

Richard Ware, one of the most respected botanists in Georgia, and my friend since our teens, visited me at Arrowhead today for a few hours of botanizing. WE (by "we' I mean Richard) IDed over a hundred species of the Flora of Arrowhead.


Hal Massie: 
He is probably THE most respected amateur botanist in Georgia.



Lobelia cardinalis
Cardinal Flower










Polygala curtissii
Curtis' Milkwort

Helianthus maximiliani

Helianthus maximiliani



Bidens polylepis
Tickseed

Rhexia mariana
Pale Meadow Beauty


Ratibida pinnata
Gray-headed Prairie Coneflower



Helianthus maximiliani

Not a great pic. My method -- since my store-bought auto focus works no better than my defective natural focusing system -- is to take several shots and hope one is in focus.
Polygala curtissii
Curtis' Milkwort


Helianthus maximiliani

We finally saw something with which Richard was unfamiliar. It is a Helianthus (Sunflower) species, but not one found frequently around here. He and Teresa suspect it may be a western species included in some wildflower seed mixes sold nationwide. I imagine he'll give us a definitive name soon. The field near the big lake was resplendent with this gorgeous flower. One specimen was more than ten feet tall.
Richard Ware: I keyed the sunflower when I got home. It is Helianthus maximilianii (Maximilian Sunflower) and it is indeed native to the midwest, but has been introduced in the east. According to the Ga. DNR it wouldn't be considered a plant of conservation concern because it is regarded as an escape.


No comments:

Post a Comment