Friday, August 30, 2013

Gleaning Facebook: The Trouble Tree

A great story. Nerdy, I suppose, but I find rituals, like this fellow's, helpful in my life. I have specific rituals I have to follow before opening curtain during theatrical shows, before storytelling events, before singing performances, and before entering my classroom. I wish I'd read this in 1971 or 1983 and I'd have had a similar ritual for my daily homecomings. 

I did have a ritual saying for the girls whenever they left the house: "Remember who you are." Sometimes it was "Remember who, and whose, you are." It's sort of like the Jewish mezuzah, I suppose. A reminder to live up to what you believe.

Here are a few of my mantras for myself:
  • "You say this is what you most enjoy: have fun." (Before acting -- then a minute or so of imagining what my character is experiencing as the scene begins. Also before storytelling.)
  • "The words, the words, the words." (before singing -- borrowed from Rachel Jones)
  • "Look for stars" (entering the classroom)

  • and for several years now, "Keep the main thing, the main thing." (entering the classroom)

Do you have a private ritual? Share it in the comments.

The following was taken from a Facebook post by Russ Sites:

I hired a plumber to help me restore an old farmhouse, and after he had just finished a rough first day on the job: a flat tire made him lose an hour of work, his electric drill quit and his ancient one ton truck refused to start.

While I drove him home, he sat in stony silence. On arriving, he invited me in to meet his family. As we walked toward the front door, he paused briefly at a small tree, touching the tips of the branches with both hands.
When opening the door he underwent an amazing transformation.. His face was wreathed in smiles and he hugged his two small children and gave his wife a kiss.
Afterward he walked me to the car. We passed the tree and my curiosity got the better of me. I asked him about what I had seen him do earlier.
'Oh, that's my trouble tree,' he replied 'I know I can't help having troubles on the job, but one thing's for sure, those troubles don't belong in the house with my wife and the children.. So I just hang them up on the tree every night when I come home and ask God to take care of them. Then in the morning I pick them up again.' 'Funny thing is,' he smiled,' when I come out in the morning to pick 'em up, there aren't nearly as many as I remember hanging up the night before.
THIS ONE IS WORTH SENDING ON.
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance. We all need a Tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment