Saturday, September 12, 2015

Gleaning Facebook: White County News

How 'bout that. I made the White County News last February and I didn't even know it. This was at an Andy Offutt Irwin workshop at Lloyd "Lanky" Summer's B&B at Sautee-Nacoochee. We had a ball. I think I told two stories to our group that weekend. The first was about the time I had a little difficulty writing the vocabulary word "peninsula" on the classroom whiteboard. If you accidentally skip the second "n", write the "s" then pause to try to figure your mistake, it can --- wonderfully augmented by a hand-drawn outline of Florida --- make some entertainment for the other adults in the room. The other story was about how my 1960s membership in the Columbia Music Club helped my teaching career fifty years later.

Andy is one of my very favorite storytellers. You'll get a chance to hear his tales of Aunt Marguerite and other great stuff at the 2016 Big Fibbers Festival right here in Rome, next March 17, 18, and 19. What fun we will have! I wonder if he'll tell about vegetarian roadkill?

(The White County News misspelled Andy's name.)




Alex Autrey
There is so much awesome in this picture. Andy is an amazing storyteller, but in this photo, it's absolutely clear he's engrossed in hearing the story. I think that's wonderful.

Ellen L. Curry
what a beautiful capture!

Geraldine Buckley
Fab picture!

Tamela Mills
Love this pic!

Ann Gore
Terrell, see what happens when you go all over the country telling those stories! Ha!

Joan Ledbetter
You were obviously engaging

Gina Hay Bryan
Lovely photo. My always attentive friend.

Deanna Dennis
Andy Irvin, don't feel bad. Somehow I'm always Deanna Davis.

Matthew Clark
Andy Offutt Irwin rocks !!!!

Andy Offutt Irwin, Storyteller 
What a great photo of the two of you!

Dovie Thomason
the listener...too perfect!

Jane Hackney Rippy
Andy would love to see you.

    Andy Offutt Irwin, Storyteller
     Hi Jane! Hope all is well in the hills!

    Jane Hackney Rippy
    The weather has been great. No humidity and nice and cool

Twyla Kaedan Lassiter Holloway
And just l8ke that I'm wishing I was hearing all ya'lls funny tailings! ! (I know it's tellins.but tailins.sounds much more southern)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment