Saturday, May 09, 2020

Joe Biden Buttons

 Y'all know I collect political items. My earliest items were from my work in the 1964 presidential campaign and the 1966 gubernatorial campaign. I first joined the American Political Items Collectors group in the 1970s. I'm a cheapskate so the few relatively valuable pins I have kinda fell into my lap in one way or another. But I have hundreds of pins dating from an 1840 William Henry Harrison metal "log cabin" clothing button (pretty common) to the Joe Biden buttons I added today.

My favorites are the ones I actually wore or collected during campaigns... LBJ, Ellis Arnall, RFK, Maynard Jackson, HHH, Carter, etc. and ones given me by great friends, neighbors, or family who worked campaigns or attended conventions like Mike Bock, Charles Graves, Audley Tucker, Mildred Knight, Joan Ledbetter, and Wendy Davis (I'll stop there -I'm leaving out bunches!)-- even one of my Republican sisters. And a couple of items I inherited from my grandfather who was a delegate to a Georgia Democratic Convention in the forties.
.
I enjoy arranging and displaying the ordinary little evidences of the most essential of our national patriotic duties in our republic: politics. Even in the midst of the Civil War and World War II We the People held elections and debated politics. As an old civics teacher I am so disappointed to hear folks, many of whom get teary eyed to hear the Anthem, talk about "hating" politics. No! Politics is what a republic is all about. Hate bad leadership, hate greed and corruption, hate hatred and racism and sexism and homophobia and xenophobia, hate apathetic citizenship, but seize your franchise, claim your part in We the People, donate/work/vote for the good guys, make republican ideals work the way they should.
Here's my collection of Joe Biden 2020 pins so far. All are fairly common I think.



Y'all BOLO for pins and posters for me the next six months.😏

No comments:

Post a Comment