Thursday, February 11, 2016

Gleaning Facebook: Bud'n Bud'n

My mother, Ruth Baird Shaw, says that you don't lose your younger self as you grow older, you just add new ages. That means that I have been, at least partly, a little boy for over 65 years. I have spent a considerable amount of time pushing toy cars and trucks through the sand and dirt or across the floor. The best were the police cruisers and fire trucks. I'd make my best siren noises adding speeding noises, and skidding-around-the-curves noises.
So just imagine the temptation that tugged at me on this Ash Wednesday!
We have a "state truck" assigned to us at Arrowhead labeled "Game Management", and we drive it from school to school for our outreach lessons. But when there are two of us headed in different directions we walk up to the Game Management office up the hill and take a second truck. Today I took the second truck. It is one that is used sometimes for enforcement so that means, this sixty-eight year old boy got to drive around Floyd County for a good part of the day in a vehicle equipped with a bank of red buttons at my fingertips. Those buttons control the sirens and flashing lights!
Oh! How I wanted to give 'em a try! I thought of firing 'em up while turning onto one of the country roads up in Armuchee. Could I have gotten away with it? And when I met with congestion at Veteran's Parkway? Think of how I could have just pulled right through that!

Bud'n bud'n. WaaaaaaaWaaaaaWaaa. Urghhhhhhh!

Joan Shaw Turrentine
I love visualizing you flashing those lights, blaring the siren, and bud'n, bud'n your way through Armuchee!


Joan Shaw Turrentine
I'm not sure I could have resisted! Did you really?


Terrell Shaw
My grown-up self managed to rule. 

pastedGraphic.png


Amber Clark Ware
Can anyone visit Arrowhead?? It sounds like something that Jim and I would enjoy.


Terrell Shaw
We are a joint project of the Dept of Nat Resources and Floyd County Schools, so the center is available for field trips too Floyd County Schools groups only. The property is open for bird watching, hiking, & fishing to the public, but not the bldgs. Sorry. 

pastedGraphic_1.png


Hilda Atkins Moore
Aside from being enthalled by your truck excursion, I am pleased to know that Ruth is your mother. She and I are longtime friends.


Anita Stewart
Bet you still have a Tonka hidden somewhere at your house.


Dawn Hoke Kidney

Oh what fun 

No comments:

Post a Comment