Sunday, May 29, 2016

Gleaning Facebook: Big Ol' Osage Orange


Our church has recently purchased the neighboring campus of Fifth Avenue Baptist Church, including this beautiful monster tree. I think it is a very large Osage Orange (Maclura pomifera). I asked Sheila to pose with it to give some perspective. It is a big ol’ tree, and quite a handsome one. I wonder if it might be in the running for state champion. 


Richard T. Ware
 Didn't you tell me about this tree one time? Have you ever measured it?

---

I have noticed this tree for a while, and only recently gave it a close enough look to attempt identification - I thought it was an Osage Orange, but told myself it was too big! It is a whopper!

There might be some oaks in Savannah that would also be in contention.

I found a listing for an Osage Orange in Atlanta that measures 15 ft in circumference at breast height. Somebody go measure this one.


Majestic Oak in Savannah
Dimensions (as of 7/2009):
27’ 8” Girth (circumference) measured at 4′ from the ground
165’ 7” Longest distance of branches from tip to tip

300-500 Approximate age in years. 


There have been quite a number of visits over the years by "town dogs" that have nurtured this tree no doubt.


Both subjects in this picture are beautiful! 


I took a picture of that monstrous trunk a few weeks ago, but I didn't include anything for scale; so the tree was unimpressive in my picture.


Lot bigger than mine in Booger holloe


Any word on this tree's circumference yet?


Maybe I'll walk over and measure it tomorrow. 


You could make a lot of bows from that.


https://www.portlandoregon.gov/trees/?c=59508&a=424017


That's a mighty good-looking perspective-marker you used for the pic - she's a good complement for the tree.


Beautiful!



Here are the co-champion Osage Orange trees of Georgia. Ours is no slouch.

http://www.gfc.state.ga.us/.../champion.../list/Search.cfm


Dense bright yellow wood favored for making bows

 Richard T. Ware

Terrell Shaw
, yes we measured it a few years ago and at the time it wasn't big enough to beat out the state champion. I may be able to look the measurement up, I'll let you know. It is a "whopper" though!

No comments:

Post a Comment