Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Gleaning Facebook: Our Local Democratic Ticket



Our local Democratic slate for November has been chosen.
Tonight Joyce Mink prevailed in a contest of two fine candidates for our school board. As a retired teacher, Joyce Mink will make a wise, experienced, dedicated voice for our students and teachers. Sheila and I have known Joyce and her wonderful family for decades. She is top notch. I am particularly pleased that she has run such an honorable and respectful race... especially since her competitor has served our students and teachers so well and honorably for 28 years. I am glad that I live in the city. It would have broken my heart to have had to make a choice between two folks I so admire.
Joan Ledbetter is our across the street neighbor and is just a fine person. Her education and experience will be valuable in organizing and operating the important county clerk's office. She grew up knowing Floyd County government as the daughter of our former county attorney, George Anderson. Here's a little info about her experience and qualifications:
W. Jeremy Salter will make a great District Attorney. A major issue for me is the terrible rate of incarceration in America. I want our DA to be tough on crime, but also sensible about ways to decrease recidivism. As I understand it the District Attorney has great influence and amazing flexibility in prosecution. Other counties have tackled the issue of drug infractions through special Drug Courts. We need that in Floyd County.
I have been acquainted with Bo (Deboria Arrant) for a couple of years now and he seems a dynamic young leader to me. I think Bo would add diversity and also youth and vitality to our board of commissioners.
Kenya Robbins is another young leader about whom I have heard good things. I do not know him yet, but I intend to get to know him in the next five months. He is well qualified by training to be our County Coroner.
Give Floyd County progressive leadership again.

Vote Democratic! 

No comments:

Post a Comment