Friday, May 27, 2016

Gleaning Facebook: King of the Snakes and More At Arrowhead Today


 I was busy watching the Great Blue Heron in the beaver pond when I nearly tread upon this beautiful Eastern King Snake. This beneficial and beautiful species seems very stable at Arrowhead. I read recently that Copperhead populations are up on account of a decrease in King Snake populations. 


These low growing berries seem much farther along and healthier than the blackberries on the regular tall arching brambles. Is it a different species?


The Red Buckeyes are producing fruit.

This is a handsome fern I found along the northeast edge of
the Arrowhead property today. I’ll try to ID it later.



Beauty is all around in nature. I do not know this plant, but its pattern of leaves from above makes it resemble a green flower. I’ll be disappointed if it turns out to be an invasive.


Another gorgeous clump of ferns…


Another gorgeous clump of ferns…


Junebug Beetles (Cotinis nitida)




Practicing granddaddying in case I live long enough. 😏 Thea looks a little unsure of my skills.










No comments:

Post a Comment