Friday, August 19, 2022

Bridging Troubled Waters

When Sheila and I merged our record collections (AKA got married) 51 years ago we found lots of duplicates. That confirmed in my mind that we are kindred spirits. Simon & Garfunkel's  Bridge Over Troubled Water album was one of those duplicates. I wanted us to bridge what ever waters we encountered in life together. And we have for more than half a century now. 

So, it was only natural that that song be sung at our wedding. My sister Beth, a wonderful singer, sang BOTW and two other songs beautifully at Tallahassee Heights United Methodist Church that August day in 1971. 


Then just one week ago today, our daughter Lillian, another gifted singer, sang this wonderful song for Beth’s funeral at our Trinity United Methodist Church. Click the photo below to watch the service. Lillian sings this song at 40:30. (Unfortunately the accompaniment was not amplified with the voice.)

Here’s an interesting 11 minute video about the song’s creation.


How I treasure the memories of my little sister, of her part in our wedding, of our times with her and her children and with our own. And how I love my daughter even more for her part in honoring Beth during one of our most troubled times.

1 comment: