Friday, August 12, 2022

Sharlyn Beth Shaw Roszel


I am so proud of my niece and nephew, Amanda Hearn Sims and Josh Hearn, who in spite of the trauma of their mother's illness and death,  planned and pulled together a very meaningful and appropriate memorial service that celebrated her life and helped bring together our large and far flung family to support and sustain one another in our grief and to remember the love and joy that Beth brought to us from December 19, 1954 to the present.

It is in times like these that we learn to appreciate our friends and loved ones. 

Trinity volunteers were wonderful. Among other things they set up two tables which worked perfectly to hold the urn and beautiful flowers as well as a display of two of Beth's paintings and her portrait.


The service was beautiful. As the family entered Debra Malone played a beautiful arrangement of the simple and beutiful song, "In the Very Room". Our pastor Nanci Hicks opened with a welcome and prayer and a reading from the Old Testament. Warren Lathem, who is married to our cousin Jane Baird Lathem, gave a heartfelt eulogy as he did at mother's funeral a year ago. My siblings Carol and David each spoke eloquently ands with great emotion about our sister. Lillian sang "Bridge Over Troubled Water" which was especially precious to me and Sheila since Beth had sung that song at our wedding 51 years ago. Amanda and then Josh also eulogized their mother with great love and respect. I was especially glad that Amanda went out of her way to address the five grandkids. Lillian then sang "Amazing Grace". Nanci closed with a New Testament reading, brief remarks, prayer and a benediction. Debra played "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" as a postlude.

Of course there were tears. But there were also many happy memories and even a few laughs. David mentioned as he fought tears that he had not cried in front of others in many years. Lillian asked me how David could be my brother, since I tear up often -- sometimes at commercials! It's true. My emotions have always been near the surface. It can be humiliating at times. The tears have flowed often the last two weeks. 

Beth was born when I was 7 just a few days before Christmas. Daddy drove us to the Griffin-Spalding County hospital where Mother held that pretty little baby up to a window so that we could see her. I was thrilled to tell my classmates in Miss Florence's second grade about my new sister, Sharlyn Beth Shaw.

For the last 38 years I have often mistakenly called out "Beth" when I've meant to say "Brannon". Brannon is my eldest daughter. Like Beth she has always been an adventuresome soul. 

It is very hard to comprehend a world with out our Beth in it. How we will all miss her.


No comments:

Post a Comment