Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Covid, Take Two

Yep. Mr Covid got 'aholt' of me again.

It has seemed a bit worse case this time. I really feel all of seventy-five years old right now.

But the disease has followed a similar pattern:

  • a day or so of misery (fever/congestion/cough) till I got the Paxlovid
  • the meds knocked the fever out immediately
  • the other symptoms gradually got better. 
  • an extremely bitter yucky taste for the duration of the meds. 

I was apparently Covid-free for 36 days after testing negative on a home test after the first bout on July 22 and again on July 24. When Sheila developed a cold we both got tested at the public testing site at the Fairgrounds on August 18 and were both negative. 

I felt sure I was coming down with the same cold a few days later. I took a home test again on August 27. I was so unconcerned about it being Covid that I didn't think to look at the strip till Sheila walked Ito the room and noticed the positive result!

Ugh!

And on a weekend again. Unlike the first time, this time it took the doctor's answering service hours to get through to the doctor on call; my wonderful doctor was not available this time. But a doctor did finally call and prescribed the meds. It was way past our pharmacy's closing hour when that happened. We had to drive through the 24 hour CVS out on Martha Berry Blvd near the by-pass to pick up the meds at about midnight. I was concerned that I felt worse, I thought, and had more congestion and a deeper cough and had run a fever for about 24 hours.  But when I woke up the next morning the fever was gone and the symptoms were less dramatic.

At this point I have one more day of Paxlovid. I will be very glad to rid myself of this disgusting taste, but I am so glad that, if I had to have the disease twice, both cases were when Paxlovid was available. The concoction is evidently made of equal parts battery acid and porcine excrement. It works but it ain't tasty.

I don't know whether this case is a "rebound" or a new infection. Sheila has managed to avoid it still and continues to spoil me rotten while enforcing my quarantine strictly.  When I suggested I do a little light yard work and get some sun and exercise, she put her foot down and insisted I stay in the AC and rest. 

So, we lost a week of our CA trip but managed to persuade Delta to postpone one week. We will --- knock on wood --- fly out Tuesday the sixth, stay in Vista a few days then attend a music festival in Bishop CA with all the Carlins, then fly back to GA with Brannon & the girls for a week, then John will join us for a few days in Mexica Beach before they fly home. So we septuagenarians will have a very busy four weeks.

Since our grandkids have a "countdown chain" that gets shorter each day till we arrive, we decided we needed to have one too:




 




No comments:

Post a Comment