Monday, December 12, 2022

Building A Beaver

I've enjoyed teaching little kids about "adaptations" at local libraries this month by magically transforming a child at each event into a "beaver". I do that by giving the child the "adaptations" of a beaver:

• warm fur (a real beaver fur "cape")

• webbed back feet (swim fins)

• tough hand-like front feet (work gloves)

• oil for waterproofing fur (hand lotion)

• musk to attract the ladies and mark territory (air freshener)

• nictitating membrane (swim goggles)

• ear and nose flaps (ear plugs and nose clamp)

• big flat tail (boat paddle)

• strong, orange teeth (construction paper cut-outs)

Silly, I know, but we have some fun, and when we are through I think the kids have an idea of what we mean by "adaptations". 

The Cedartown Library has decorated beautifully for the holidays, including a very nice selfie backdrop. I took advantage of it with our beaver mount and two of the kids who participated in the program today. The first grader on the right was our "beaver" a few minutes earlier. And the pre-K fellow on the left is his brother. That's me peeking out from behind the beaver.


I'd love to come to your school, library, scout group, civic group, state park, or other group and bring an animal and a story. Message me for more info. I can bring our show anywhere in northwest Georgia up to an hour's drive or so away.

No comments:

Post a Comment