Saturday, December 10, 2022

Useful Info For Outdoors Folk

My friend Richard Ware is the most knowledgeable person I know regarding Georgia plant life, with the possible exception of his botanical partner and bride, Teresa. Their wildflower photo collection is just amazing. Every day Richard posts on Facebook pictures and identifying information about a different plant that can be found growing in Georgia. I really enjoy seeing those pictures every morning. The botanical diversity of our gorgeous little corner of creation is just incredible.

Today's example is Verbascum thapsus, an import from Europe that is found hereabouts and in every other state of the union. Richard's pictures of it were taken up in Walker County. When I read Richard's brief words this morning I was struck by one of the common names he listed: "Hunter's Friend". I wondered why it would be called that. One possibility jumped to mind and made me chuckle. So I consulted, recognizing its limitations, the internet's easiest resource in such instances, Wikipedia. There I soon found a sometimes common name for the plant that gave credence to my imagined etymology for "Hunter's Friend": "Cowboy's Toilet Paper"!

So friends if on your walks in the wilds of our beautiful Eastern Woodlands whether botanizing, or birdwatching, or hunting, and you find yourself without your Charmin, perhaps there'll be some Hunter's Friend nearby.

If you type "Richard Ware" into the little search bar at the top left of this blog post you will see that Richard has figured prominently in my blog over the last 17 years.

Here is Richard's post regarding this plant:

Richard T. Ware

Verbascum thapsus (Woolly Mullein, Flannel-plant, Hunter's Friend) - July 7, Walker Co., Georgia. USA. Native of Europe.






No comments:

Post a Comment